002 | surprise

CHAPTER TWO : surprise

————

JUDGING BY THE TOWEL draped over the bannister of the stairs and the clanging of pans in the kitchen, Finnick woke up early today. Evangeline Sky huffs as she shrugs off her robe and hangs it up on the coat rack. She shuffles down the hallway, swinging the brown paper bag from the bakery back and forth in her hand. The hallway opens to a combined kitchen-living area, the morning sunlight streaming in through the windows and reflecting against the ocean just beyond their backyard.

     Finnick's bent down at the island in the middle of the kitchen, sorting through the cabinets for God knows what. Only the very top of his head and his sculpted, tanned shoulders are visible.

     "Well, I got you breakfast but if you'd prefer to cook for yourself..."

     Finnick nearly hits his head on the counter from the surprise. He looks up in the direction of his girlfriend's voice and grins, first at her, then at the bag dangling from her right hand. "I was wondering where you were." He crosses the kitchen to greet her, cupping her jaw in one hand to plant a kiss on her lips, taking his breakfast in his other.

     With a vague gesture in the direction of Main Town, Evangeline Sky explains, "Just at the bakery with Dillan."

     "I thought you might be, but the car was still in the driveway," Finnick says as he returns to stand at the kitchen island. He pulls out his breakfast — a croissant with sliced banana and honey on the top — and plops it onto a plain old plate. Finnick's plates and bowls are all dark terracotta with scalloped edges and deep grooves, Evangeline Sky's are in every colour and style under the sun. The Odair family loves simple, understated. The Covey loves colour.

     Evangeline Sky shrugs. "I walked."

     Finnick stops, only halfway through tearing off the end of his pastry with his fingers. "You walked all the way there?" he asks, brows furrowed. Evangeline Sky nods. Finnick searches through his memory for a moment, eyes flickering back and forth as he thinks. "Your cane was still by the door when I came down."

     "I can walk without it, y'know?" the girl says, holding back an amused grin. To demonstrate, she shifts her weight from leg to leg on the spot. She winces a little while on her left leg, but not enough to worry about. "It's only fifteen minutes, anyway."

     With a shake of his head, which sends his still-damp blond hair flying over his forehead, Finnick laughs lowly. He finishes breaking the piece off his croissant and holds it to her in a mock salute. "Well, I appreciate it."