000 | the hanging tree

PROLOGUE : the hanging tree

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

————

     LIKE EVERY HUNGER GAMES, Coriolanus Snow sits in his office, snake eyes darting over the lineup of holographic screens projected before him. They display video feeds from different cameras placed around the arena, playing on a delay. Five seconds between what he and the Gamemakers see and what the remainder of Panem does.

     A few cameras linger on Malachi Smythe, the boy from 2, wrapped in a blanket gifted to him by a sponsor. He has pushed one hand out of his cocoon of warmth, spinning a sharp, curved hunting knife between his fingers. The silver moon reflects off the clear waters before him. It makes the metal glitter as it turns.

     One shows him in a close-up, focussing on the concentration in his eyes, the determination in the set of his jaw. One shows him from further away, set up in a tree a few paces from where he sits. One is an aerial shot, catching his tall, muscular figure from above, staring down at his shaggy dark hair.

     A few cameras linger on Polaris Nix, the girl from 3, pacing back and forth on the beach, shielded from hunting eyes by a canopy of palm trees. She's coated her light blonde hair in layers upon layers of mud and dark clay to better hide herself from the others. She keeps her eyes down on the rocks beneath her feet, making sure she won't step wrong and slip.

     One camera is at head height, embedded into a tree to her left, then right, then left, then right. It catches her mouth moving, though she speaks too quietly for any microphone to pick up her words. The other camera only finds her for a moment, when she's standing in just the right spot. She only appears for a split second when she passes by a break in the leaves around her, but it's enough to justify keeping the shot.

     And, a few cameras linger on Evangeline Sky Flanagan. She's all the way on the other side of the arena, weaponless after a fight with District Two's girl — she'd taken Evangeline Sky's knife to the throat and brought it into the Capitol's hovercraft with her. Evangeline Sky only has a long, thick rope and a half-filled container of water to her name.

     One camera watches from afar as she scales the bare-branched oak on her little piece of land — what an oak tree is doing on a tropical island is, frankly, anyone's guess — with the rope draped over her tanned shoulders and the strap of her water skin clenched between her teeth. One camera catches her just for a brief moment as she passes by where it's stuck into the tree trunk, getting an uncomfortable close-up of her gritted teeth that makes even Snow cringe a little. One camera focuses on her as she emerges on top and immediately drops the water into the space where the branches meet, kneeling down to tie one end of the rope around the thickest branch, and then the other end into a noose.

     One camera gets a close-up of the noose being tied in Evangeline Sky's nimble hands.

     The President straightens in his seat.

     Evangeline Sky stands, rising to her full height, still holding her rope in one hand. She clears her throat. She sings.

     Coriolanus Snow hasn't moved as fast as he does in years — decades, even. He throws open the door connecting his office to the Gamemakers' room.

     "Cut the broadcast!"

     "But, Sir—" a young Gamemaker protests. Finally, after hours of nothing, something is happening.

     "Cut it!"

     Screens across Panem go dark. Shouts of disappointment ring out in the streets of the Capitol, where their viewing parties have been cut short.

     In the arena, miles away, Evangeline Sky Flanagan lures a young Polaris Nix out of her hiding place and across the waters separating their islands. Polaris' approach is silent, but the silver moon shimmers off the dripping machete gripped in her one good hand, and Evangeline Sky has a keen eye for the beautiful.

     Only Coriolanus Snow bears witness to the spectacle. A young girl with dark hair, dark eyes, tanned skin, the voice of an angel.

     "Are you, are you coming to the tree?" the angel asks.

     Coriolanus does not answer.

————

a/n:
hi, hello, evangeline sky is my child and i love her sm.
i literally watched tbosas last night and it WRECKED me and i couldn't wait any longer to get this fic started, so here she is.

thank you for giving this fic a chance, and i hope everyone reading loves it, and evangeline sky, as much as i do.

so much love <3 <3

published : november 16, 2023
word count : 0.8k