007 | haze

CHAPTER SEVEN : haze

————

     THE TRIBUTE PARADE PASSES by in flashes of hot light, streams of technicolour, and a veneer of unwavering confidence masking the anxiety hidden deep down in Evangeline Sky's gut. None of these Victors really want to return to the arena, but for the sake of the cameras and the Capitol's citizens, and especially the President standing tall at the end of the City Circle, they must act not just proud to represent their District once more, but as if it's completely beneath them at this point.

Before they entered the view of the cameras, Finnick had his hand on Evangeline Sky's back, helping to keep her steady without her cane — which had been passed off to Orion moments before climbing aboard. The instant the sunlight hit their horses' faces, Finnick's hand dropped to his side, and his other hand raised to wave to the spectators. Evangeline Sky did no such thing. She held onto the front of the carriage, knuckles turning white with the effort to keep herself from faltering on her bad leg. That wouldn't be a good look for the sponsors — a tribute who can't even stand.

     The hot sun reflects shimmers of blue light off her collarbones and arms, glimmering in little star shapes on the screens to either side of the road. Using the screens, Evangeline Sky has a clear view of how each of her fellow tributes are playing it — some proud, some smiley, some like this is absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, like this is just something to get through before getting home for a coffee. She decides to play it confident, lightly shaking her head like a lion his mane, allowing her dark hair to fan out behind her in the breeze, making her presence seem larger. Making herself seem prouder than she feels.

     When the chariots arrive before the President, Evangeline Sky makes a point of paying him no attention. It will, no doubt, be the same speech he gives every year, and she's already heard it enough to last her forty lifetimes. It's not long until the horses are turning back and returning to the refurbished Training Centre, its gaping mouth swallowing them whole.

     Orion is at the side of the chariot the second it arrives, handing Evangeline Sky her simple hazelwood cane as soon as Finnick has helped her onto solid ground. Her fingers grip its familiar handle, the only not-so-simple part about it — sculpted to look like a bird's head with small blue gems embedded in either side for the eyes. She runs her thumb over one of the gems, feeling each of its defined edges. It eases some of the tension in her shoulders, this piece of home.

     Standing at Orion's side is Icarus, his curly hair still a little damp. He had arrived moments before the horses set off, clearly fresh from the showers. Dillan isn't with him, likely lounging around in District 4's living room. Evangeline Sky can see her now — lying down on a couch, a cup of Posca in one hand, a cookie in the other. Unable to stop loving the luxuries the Capitol has to offer, even though her mind tells her not to. It is her first time here, after all — Fallon had kept her far, far away. Oscar is also missing, understandably. He's almost certainly holed up in his room, doing everything he can to keep himself from completely losing it.