Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

"Jess?"
"Hmm?" I snap back and realize she was saying something to me and watching me with curiosity. I silently scold myself for dazing off, I had to convince her I was normal. I had to convince her everything was alright because pretty soon my guardians would be asking her for her professional opinion on my mental state and she might assure them that I'm nuts.

"Sleep? How's your sleep? Calm? Restless?"
"A little restless but I just assumed it was the meds."
"It probably is but we'll keep you on it for a little longer to see how else your body reacts to it."

My body only offers a nod in response as I slouch in my chair to escape her eyes.

"Alright. Let's talk."

——

Rubbing my face, I walk out of the building and let out the aggravated sigh I was withholding. I know therapy is supposed to be healing and whatnot, but I cannot stand being forcibly pried into.

I pull my hoodie close to my body and stare at the floor clutching a folder that held all my issues in black Times New Roman font as I rocked back and forth on my heels. It didn't matter that I had my phone in my hands, I didn't want to talk to anyone and I didn't have much service so the phone was basically useless anyway.

A loud honk makes my head snap up in attention and I train my eyes on the familiar car I didn't expect.

The passenger side window is rolled down and I tilted my head, squinting with the sun in one eye, and stared with a contorted face. Jayden's sudden appearance brought a bit of unanticipated joy and I was grateful for it. It gave me hope of getting back to some normalcy, it meant I was missing him again.

"Well are you gonna get in?"

I put one hand up over my eyes to shelter them from the sun as I looked at him with a crooked neck.

"I don't think my parents would approve of me getting in the car with a stranger."

A joke. Big surprise, Jessica still knows how to tell them. I'm not too far gone yet.

He smirks and leans on the center console angled more towards me.

"Since when do you care about your parent's approval?"

I sigh and lazily wave the folder around, admitting to no one in particular, "He makes a good point," as I walk forward and open the door climbing inside.

"I haven't seen you in a while."
"I've been avoiding you." I answer honestly with a shrug and his eyes grow noticeably wide with surprise.

"Why?"
"You've been in this— like — overbearing protective boyfriend mode that I needed to get some distance from."
"Ouch."

I grimaced at my unfiltered statement feeling a bit bad afterwards, "Sorry."

He shakes his head keeping his eyes on the road only sneaking a small glance at me.

"I just wanted to make sure you didn't do something stupid over a temporary feeling."
"It doesn't feel very temporary."
"Well obviously. That's because you're still in it."

I roll my eyes and enjoy the experience of being back in his car and communicating normally, not feeling weird or annoyed sitting next to him. Just feeling like things were back to how they were again.

My phone dings and I look down picking it up to see someone had sent me a picture. Once I open it and start reading, I realize it's an invitation.

You're invited to Lucinda's funeral party. Only close friends and family. RSVP to her mother— Janice