Chapter Eleven

Huddling around the small magical fire, I feel a little more at ease. As the sun goes down, they tell stories of their childhood in the palace.

"There was this one time at breakfast that mother told such a funny joke, Axil spit out all the milk he was drinking. His suit was so ruined, not even the royal staff could get the stains out."

"That was one time! Plus, do you remember when you fell down the stairs so excited to get a new stupid top hat?"

"They are not stupid, they complete my look."

Branching out her arms, she puffs out her curly hair. Laughing, I listen to their back and forth argument. Staring at the fire, I try to remember what it was like to have a happy family. That was years ago, maybe when I was six. What was most sad, was watching the life dwindle out of everybody. My family who used to laugh and sing was now a ghost town filled with murdering zombies.

"So, what about you? Any funny childhood stories?" He waits, his cheeks still held high from the smile that graces his face.

I try to think, I would have to search deep in my memory. When training was sped up, my brain was used for more skill. Things like funny memories weren't really remembered, so I tell them about the pretzel competitions with John. It could never equate to some of their stories, but it's one of the only ones I got.

"So, I'm guessing you guys have been lifelong friends?" Axil asks curiously.

"Kind of, we are more like siblings. He was an orphan when my mother took him in. Being around the same age, we would often call each other twins."

He nods smiling until he sees that I am not.

Like he's reading my thought, "And then..."

Staring back at the fire I continue, "Then, I guess you could say we went our separate ways."

"That's pretty recent, isn't it? Since you've been at the palace."

"Yeah."

A long pause fills the air, the crackling of the fire serving as the entertainment.

"How about I get the marshmallows back out and make some s'mores."

Puppy eyes again look back at me like they did at the mall. "What are s'mores?"

I laugh, keeping my mouth shut about what they are, "I guess it will be a surprise."

***

Never before had I seen the royal crusade messier. Melted marshmallow glues to their hands, chocolate lining the corners of their mouths. Watching them explore the outside world is almost poetic. Seeing the crown prince and the royal sorceress have a blast sitting at a fire eating marshmallows is humbling.

I am glad they can experience the outside world. A world where there is no roof over their head, a world where you have to fight every day. On paper it sounds really bad, but it's those experiences that make us feel truly free. The days that we work so much that we can't keep our eyes open any longer. The times where adrenaline takes over our bodies until we collapse with exhaustion. I feel blessed to be able to share this with them.

"I have never seen so many stars in the sky," Axil voices. His eyes in awe of the sky's masterpiece.

"It's truly amazing," says Crista.

I stand up to beat the logs that are crumbling in the fire. "This should be safe for us to go to bed."

"You just let it burn overnight. What happens if it grows like earlier?"