CH28

"the atmosphere. the breaths. them."

-

After giving Arin one last stern look, Chenle left her side, dialling his father immediately. The moment his father picked up, fury consumed him.

"How could you do this" Chenle spat, running a hand through his hair in an attempt to stabilise his emotions.

"What do you mean?"

That tone of innocence ticked Chenle off

"You know exactly what I mean. You didn't file an arrest like you said you would. I went to that dinner like you said, I did everything you wanted me to, and you..." Chenle couldn't even finish his sentence without scoffing "you acted like my words meant nothing"

"Look. I know what's best for you and the only way to get you to consider becoming a police was to do this. I'm sorry I lied to you but-"

"I will never become a police because I dont to become you, father. Don't contact me again"

The call ended.

5 DAYS LATER

"Are you planning to tell me what's up with you and Hajoon or are you going to continue being a bitch about it" Arin groaned. Chenle shook his head, helping her pack away her belongings to help her return home. She was finally allowed to be discharged and go home, so Chenle took his rest day to safely escort her back. It was rather late at night, and recently, Chenle has been doing everything he can to make sure Hajoon stayed as far away from her as possible

"Be quiet and get on the car. I'm sending you home" After successfully managing to force Arin on the car and escorting her home, Arin still didn't give up on prying.

"Chenle come on" Arin whined, dragging Chenle inside when he tried to leave.

"I need to go" Chenle insisted, but was pulled inside her house regardless of his resistance. Her apartment was a rather homey abode, with picture framed in the doorway and plenty of plants placed on the tables and cabinets.

Arin rolled her eyes, desperate to let Chenle tell her what was going on so she quickly thought of an excuse to make him stay "Okay whatever. I'm starving though. Can you please just make me something and then I'll let you go"

Chenle simply looked at Arin for a second, but gave in. He knew he could never resist against her. Agreeing, Chenle entered the room and opened the fridge to see that it was completely and utterly empty. Arin, who was sitting on the dinner table, put her chin on her hands and smiled as if it wasn't her fault that there was literally nothing in the fridge.

For the next couple minutes, all she could hear was the soft boiling of water and the chopping sounds of a knife against wood. Chenle was working with very minimal, but somehow still managed to make the room smell like heaven.

"Didn't know you cooked" Arin mentioned, softly humming against the clanks of pots and pans.

"My father was never really home when I was young because of his duties as a police officer. And whenever he was home, all he would say was that he wanted me to be a police officer too. My mother divorced early so I don't even know where she is" Chenle shrugged "So I learnt to take care of myself."

"A police officer? Why?" Arin asked out of curiosity

"Because he thinks it provides great honour. More than firefighters would because in his eyes, all we firefighters do is save cats from trees and extinguish candles" Chenle sighed "Just to go against him, I became a firefighter. But as time passed, I grew to love this profession. And my entire life has been nothing but firefighting because that's all I cared about"

Arin nodded. She knew what it felt like to want to break restrictions and expectations. After all, they're young. If they don't break standards now, they may be forever confined.

"Well. At least this skill came in handy now" Arin smiled as Chenle placed a bowl of noodles in front of her. Arin's eyes brightened, as she momentarily forgot about the drama with Hajoon. Picking up the pair of chopsticks on the bowl, she begun shoving it down her throat as if she's been starving for decades. The steam of the noodles filled her nostrils with a pleasant aroma, the soup warming her entire body.

Chenle leant over her body to grab tissues for her across the table, but at the same time, Arin stood up to grab her phone which was on the other end of the table, causing the two to almost collide. Chenle's hand snaked around her waist to catch her, his other hand pressed against the table to stop him from crashing onto the table. Their faces jerked closer together, with barely a centimetre of space between them. Chenle audibly sucked in a deep breath, eyes widening at the close proximity.

"I was grabbing my phone..." Arin's sentence slowly died on her lips, her breath fanning upon his.

"I was grabbing the tissues" Chenle responded, barely above a whisper.

"Right" Arin laughed awkwardly, her entire body frozen in spot. She didn't know what was happening. Too many things were running through her mind for her to even properly function.

"I need to tell you something" Chenle said, not being able to resist himself as he tightened his grip around her waist and pulled her closer. He angled his head, lips hovering above hers. His eyes seemed to be fixated on her lips, that have subtly parted. With how close their bodies were, she could almost feel how erratic his heartbeat was. For a second, all she could hear was the soft heaving of breaths as they clashed between the mere space between them.

"Hm?" She hummed back. Her gaze lowered too. The tension rose hundredfold and she almost felt the energy in her limbs evaporate from her body.

The atmosphere. The breaths. Them.

It was taking great control not to kiss her right now. He pushed forward, so that his hand on the table slid further back, her body subtly leant backwards against the table. Instinctively, she gasped quietly, in which she realised what she just did and slapped her hand over her mouth. Chenle chuckled, finding her ridiculously cute as he continued to move even more towards her,
finding relief that she hasn't pulled away yet.

"Chenle" She choked out as she was forced to sit on the table, Chenle's body hovering over hers as their eye contact was now on the same level. Her hand was still over her mouth out of incredible nervousness. His gaze lingered upon her, a subtle smirk upon his lips.

Chenle pulled her hand down, then his hand that was previously against the table slowly made its way to her cheek, cupping it gently. Just as he was about to give in and press his lips against hers, the doorbell rung. Arin, out of panic, pushed against his body but he held on, chuckling.

"Someone's at the door, Chenle" Arin spun her head round to look at the door, then turning back to hit him against the shoulder for him to let go.

"Doesn't matter" Chenle retorted, angling his head once again, only to be once again cut off by a loud, male voice.

"Arin! Open the door! It's Jungwoo!"