One fine morning, when they all gathered around the dining table for breakfast, Murtasim announced, "Maa, I'll be going to the Gaon today for a day. I have some work to deal with." Meerab, at this point, contemplated whether she should return home or if her father needed her to stay and Maa Begum's voice broke her trance.

"Oh, would you mind taking Meerab with you as well then? It's been a month, and she has been stuck in this house for so long. Surely, she must be feeling bored, right Meerab?" Maa Begum said, and Meerab sheepishly nodded.

"But what would she do there? There's not much for her to entertain herself with," Murtasim argued. Meerab looked at him, hoping he would change his mind and take her along, as boredom was beginning to take its toll.

"You can show her the fields, the children's schools that have been established there, and it can just be a simple outing for her. Come on now, Murtasim, I don't want to hear anything else," Maa Begum instructed, firm in her decision as she looked at Murtasim knowingly.

Meerab, though grateful for the opportunity to break free from the routine, hesitated. "Oh, no, Maa Begum, it's alright. I don't want to be a burden. I can find something to do here, really," she insisted, not wanting to impose on Murtasim's plans.

Murtasim, however, interrupted, "It's not a problem. Meerab can come along. We'll leave in an hour." With that, he rose from his seat, his monotonous voice carrying an air of decisiveness, leaving behind an excited and anticipative Meerab.

_______________________________

Murtasim understood the reality of his mother's intentions as he prepared to depart for the Gaon. His mind retraced a conversation he had with Maa Begum just a week prior.

...........................................................................

"Murtasim, beta, you know your father's desire for you to marry Meerab was to mend the strained relations between him and his brother. Now that Anwar is here, and you've met Meerab, I believe it's time to take the initial steps toward your marriage."

"Maa, do we really need to go down this road again? I've told you before—I don't—" Murtasim started, but his mother's firm interruption cut him off.

"Murtasim, it's your father's last wish. Can you not respect that? I understand that what happened shaped you into the person you are today, but you cannot possibly spend your entire life like this. You need a partner, someone with whom you can share your happiness and sorrows, someone you can rely on, someone who would love you," Maa Begum urged.

"MAA! Please, I'll agree to do whatever you want, but you cannot expect me to love someone. I'll respect Baba's wish, but I need to make it clear to you and Meerab as well, that this marriage will be nothing more than a contract," Murtasim insisted.

"Murtasim, you won't understand now but eventually, things would change. You will see things from a different perspective once you let your heart out of the abyss you've pushed it into, and I'm sure Meerab is going to be the one that helps you out of this darkness," Maa Begum predicted with unwavering conviction.

However, Murtasim couldn't shake the feeling that his mother would never change her stance, and there was little point in arguing further. Rolling his eyes in frustration, he left the room without saying another word, leaving the weight of unspoken tensions lingering in the air.

...........................................................................

His mother was orchestrating a plan to get them to spend time together—something Murtasim was definitely not looking forward to. The solitary trip he had planned was now entwined with Farukh tagging along. Murtasim, given his own busy schedule, didn't fancy the idea of acting like a tour guide for Meerab. Hence, Farukh's presence would serve as a buffer. He could engage Meerab, keep her company, and perhaps alleviate the boredom that she supposed had. Murtasim was well-aware of Farukh's friendly and considerate nature, making him the ideal companion for Meerab during the trip.