"Engagement."

Gilbert squinted in thought. "E-N-G-A-G-M..."

A small smile rose on Charlotte's face, indicating to Gilbert he had already lost. Her smiles directed at him were only ever seen when she beat him at something. Those were only tiny smiles, he had never seen her truly smile widely. Sometimes, he had the urge to lose just so she would naturally grin in triumph, although he never did.

"That is incorrect."

Cheers rose from the girls as Charlotte stepped towards Gilbert as he did the same.

"Nice work," Gilbert smiled at her, shaking her hand.

"You too," she nodded back. "You should have added an 'E'."

"I'll remember that for next time."

Charlotte stared out the window of the classroom, admiring the snow stretched along the landscape that was Avonlea. She looked back as Anne was called on.

"Which provinces compromise the Atlantic Maritimes?"

She stood up slowly, her hands rested on the back of her dress. Charlotte knew why. She was awoken that morning due to Anne's screams assuming she was dying when she was really just on her period. Charlotte knew how it felt, she had gotten hers weeks before and was expecting it soon enough. She was not looking forward to the agonizing feeling that came with it, or the mood swings. Charlotte was already grumpy enough as it was, she didn't even want to know how much of a menace to others she became when she was on her period.

"I'm sorry, what was the question?" Anne asked.

Mr. Phillips scowled at her. "Could you not hear me? Was I not speaking loudly enough? The Atlantic Maritimes."

Anne stared blankly at him.

"Gilbert Blythe is going to be the death of me," Anne snapped on the way home.

Diana walked alongside her, as well as Charlotte who wasn't listening to anything the girls said.

"He was just trying to help you with the mnemonics," Diana told her, stopping as the girls met the path split to their houses.

"Regardless, I don't need his help," Anne told her. "Have a good weekend Diana."

Diana smiled, walking away. As soon as she did, Anne turned to Charlotte. "Can I rant to you some more?"

Charlotte let out a sigh, knowing Anne was talkative by nature, if she wasn't allowed to talk she would be practically holding her breath. Besides, the brunette was beginning to enjoy the long rants Anne would go on. "Go ahead."

Charlotte sat in her room alone, doing her best to drown out the noises of Anne and Diana as they played dress up in the next room. Anne had her over for tea, which Charlotte wanted no part in, meaning she was attempting to study.

Math was never her strongest subject. She was good at it, but not good enough it would keep her at the top of the class. She had to work for that subject. it infuriated her how Gilbert was so naturally good at the subject, and how she needed to practice hours after school on it to make sure she was better than him.