iv. Old Habits Die Hard

Start from the beginning

"ADHD, bad memories I thought you would remember that, Annabeth."

Percy thought about what Genna told him. "You mean if I killed one, accidentally, with a sword "

"The Fu "

"Dodds," Genna corrected Annabeth. "Yeah, she's not gone, Percy though I wish she was ... But" she took a glance at him, watching his face churn at the news "she's still out there. And you've only pissed her off."

Percy's expression flashed. "So you knew the entire fucking time, Genna? I thought I was going insane!"

The daughter of Hermes shrugged, spreading her hands. "I had to lie, okay? If you knew Dodds was a monster, you realize how many more would've come after you over the months? It may not seem like it to you but we tried keeping you safe."

He glared at her, but sighed and uncrossed his arms. "Annabeth almost called Mrs. Dodds something a Fury? They're Hades's torturers, right?"

Genna winced. Naming powerful monsters like that that was dangerous.

"You shouldn't call them by name, even here," warned Annabeth as she glanced nervously at the ground. "We call them the Kindly Ones, if we have to speak of them at all."

Percy's face went flat. "Okay ... is there anything we can say without it thundering?" He flung his hand back at the Hermes Cabin. "Why do I have to stay in Cabin Eleven, anyway? Why is everybody so crowded together? There are plenty of empty bunks right over there." He gestured to the first few cabins: Zeus, Hera, and Poseidon.

Genna's jaw ticked. She hated when people brought up her father's cabin. Somehow, she felt like they were making the comments to her. "You don't just choose a cabin, Percy," she explained hotly. "It depends on who your parent is."

Percy stared at her. He seemingly knew what Genna was saying, but he gritted his teeth. "My mom is Sally Jackson. She works at the candy store in Grand Central Station. At least ... she used to."

For a second, Genna's glare faltered; even Annabeth's steely look faded. None of them liked thinking about Percy losing his mother, and Genna and Annabeth weren't exactly sure how to console him those two weren't good with emotions, that was for sure.

Genna took a breath, and then her chest deflated. "I'm sorry about your mom, Percy. But ... that's not who I meant. I mean your godly parent your dad."

"He's dead. I never knew him."

Annabeth sighed. This was a conversation she had many times over with all sort of new campers she was sure was "the one" (but none of them ever were). "Your father's not dead, Percy."

Immediately, Percy became defensive. "How can you say that? You know him?"

"No, of course not."

"Then how can you say "

"Because I know you," Annabeth broke in with furrowed brows. "You wouldn't be here if you weren't one of us."

"You don't know anything about me."

"No?" Annabeth raised a challenging brow at the boy. "I bet you moved around from school to school. I bet you were kicked out of a lot of them."