But she seldom used to get that sort of attention – even though it was the only sort of it she needed and loved, never actually realizing her need. This attention did not require anything from her, so she could remain just herself, without a feeling she was a potential prey, or a disobedient daughter, or a defenseless naive child who was taught by everyone and sundry.

She fought against the other sorts of attention so hard that many adults involved couldn't keep their presence of mind. But she had long been sick and tired of it all.

The adults considered her to have a rebellious character and therefore difficult to educate; while she just saw animosity in the people who tried to educate her. Even her parents would choose the hostile side rather often. Most peers always demanded something from her: to play what they decided to play, to dress like they did, to talk about things that were easy for them to understand. Not that they did it only to her: she observed countless times how children got only just familiar with each other and argued at once who of them was going to boss another one around. Some children did not argue and meekly accepted their having to obey. It happened either in pairs or in companies without exceptions. Keernah was quite strong and clever for her age and wasn't afraid to stand up for herself; but she had never been bossy. Even less so she wanted to obey anyone she didn't really like. Also, she knew there was no need to choose only one role and stick to it for good: she saw that not all adults had to exclusively obey or give orders. Especially often she watched her parents swap the roles when it was necessary, or when they just felt like it. Sometimes, they even could become two bosses or two obeyers, which wasn't plainly seen and might end up in a mild argument.

Anyway, Keernah wanted that freely changing sort of relationships too; but she could not recall a single child who hadn't tried to require of her either obeyance, which happened more often, or, sometimes, being a leader who had to find entertainment for everyone and be responsible if anything went wrong. She complained to her parents about it, but they could not really comfort her, even though they seemed to understand. Eventually, her mother simply promised that someday Keernah would definitely meet a friend she wanted, just like Mom and Dad had met each other.

While Keernah was staring in the boy's calm dark eyes, she recalled that conversation. At first she thought timidly whether he might be the one; then she was flooded with a strong desire to believe that her dream finally came true. Had not her parents brought her here deliberately just for her to meet the very friend? She had no idea how they'd learned he was in the village; but they often knew things they seemingly could not know.

She might be wrong though. Now the boy was going to speak...

But Keernah spoke first without any intention to. She kind of felt that his attention was inviting her to speak; but even more she feared that the friend, who was only starting to take shape in her mind, would slip away if she didn't do something at once.

"What's that white thing in your hair?" she asked habitually boldly, because many children would not listen to her otherwise. But this time she unexpectedly became afraid that the boy might take offence and leave – so loud and sharp her voice was. Whomever she had talked to before, that thought never occurred to her.

She secretly breathed a sigh of relief when she saw that the boy hadn't had the thought either. His face remained serene, and his voice appeared to be as calm as his gaze.

"I don't know."

"How come? Did your parents see it?"

"They did. They say it's gray hair."

"Gray hair?!" Keernah gasped, nearly stuttering in her perplexion, "But look, you... you're too little yet!"

"I'm already six," the boy replied, not without dignity. His face was getting animated slowly and charmingly – he was probably becoming amused.