Elements' Eyes

Book 1: Going-Through

Prologue

"Quiet, my dear, just keep quiet, just do not cry!  He will kill you if he hears you! Hold on to me, go on quietly, you only need to make it to the door. Then I will carry you in my mouth. Sweetie, do not turn around, just walk faster. Yes, I know Daddy is there, but he will not follow us. He wants us to leave without him."

"Ahan!

"For what I have done, I cannot be forgiven.

"For what I have done, your death will be my punishment.

"But you will die in my arms for I am death."

"Neeye? Where have you gone, you whining mongrel? Come here and whine even more pitifully, so that I could think better of doing anything else to you. Go and take a look at your male dog, you seemed to be wanting that badly. Well! Are you not going?

"After all, you loved him, where are you now, by thunder? Are you not ashamed of your cowardice? Are you afraid of pain, are you still afraid of anything after you lost everything? Will keep fearing for your worthless life? Will hide in the forest without ever trying to come at me?'

"So I was absolutely right to have turned you into a mindless beast. You have neither a reason nor a will of your own, you are only governed by most primitive emotions. I recall I was so amazed when I thought you were capable of love. And I almost believed that I did not know your true self, that you had hated us and never showed us your other feelings. But ought you not to have been here if it were love that had made you howl like that? My heart did rejoice at the sound! Why are you silent now?

"Or were you just being childishly hysterical? Did I disturb your peaceful night and really upset you by that?

"Could you have lost your mind and be unable to realize what is happening at all? Otherwise, I don't understand why hide in the thicket when I can find you and make a fluffy rug out of you in no time. Have you forgotten who I am? Can you still not recall after all this?

"You could not have forgotten, of course. But your idiotic train of thought has never been easy to guess at once. l will try again: you decided six years ago that you had managed to flee from me, so you will flee today like before. Right? Did it never occur to you that it was me who decided to let you go wherever you wanted?

"No surprise, though. You have never been modest and capable of seeing your own faults. Even your enormous mansion shows it. Gramia and I would never live in such a place. There had been two of us, there were two of you, but just look at the difference! You needed more space than we had needed? What for? And how did you persuade your male mongrel to buy this awful house? He did have some brains, unlike you, he must have been wondering. Did you promise him that you would have a bunch of children? Ridiculous. You are like a bottomless pit: no matter how much one pours in, everything disappears into the void. I must admit I feel sorry for him a little, even though he belongs to your soulless people too. I think he realizes now what sort of a life I saved him from. There was nothing more I could do for the one who had been meant for me before you replaced him. You are the only one to blame for everything that has happened, dear Neyee. You know, you have stolen everything that could have ever been dear to me, so I will always call you dear. Please, remind me of this if I forget, for I am not that young anymore...

"So, I felt sorry for your dog, but I wonder – did you feel the same about Gramiya when you escaped our place? I highly doubt it. You knew that your leaving would kill her, but you hated her, you mean, ungrateful girl, and I am sure you never looked back when you sneaked out. She died a day later. You have been killing her for a long time – ever since you took the life of our true daughter. And you have reached your goal finally! If only I had known!