.𝟒𝟑 - 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡

𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐌𝐄
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(the omen of death)

𝐓he darkness had never felt more alive than it did now, swarming Nyx's figure in a way Diego never believed possible. It appeared to radiate off her in violent whisps that dared to strike anyone too close. He'd seen her use her powers many times but never before had he seen the darkness come out of her. She had always channeled it from some shadow in a room never from her own body. He didn't even know it was something she could do. Her eyes appeared much darker than ever before, the pure black seeming to shimmer at him as her stare locked onto his figure. It was obvious that whatever had happened to her here left her as someone else than the Nyx he'd known prior. She was different, stronger. If he were rational, the sight of her would have sent him into a panic. The violent nature of the darkness should have had him running in the other direction and the smile now hugging her lips would have been sinister. But Diego didn't shrivel at the sight of her nor did he let his perception of the darkness dilute his vision. 

Her smirk fell at the sight of him, her brows furrowing together as her eyes raked his image. Relief instant took to his face. His skeptical and hostile stare falling entirely and quickly replaced as his brows softened and a wide smile took to his lips. A quiet, airy chuckle cracked past Nyx's lips as something between surprise and joy blended on her features. "Nyx?" Relief coated her name as Diego spoke it. His features softened as he tentatively stepped towards her. He'd never seen her smile as widely or genuinely as she did in that moment. "You're alive."

The space between them was closed in seconds as she ran to him. Her arms wrapping tightly around his neck and her feet kicking off the ground as she engulfed him in a tight hug. Surprise spread across Diego's face as he caught her, his arms wrapping as equally tight around her. He stared blankly at the wall for a moment, trying to processes what was happening. Nyx; the little seventeen year old capable of showing no emotion rather than anger and gifting no signs of physical affection had just willingly launched herself into his arms. She pressed her face into his shoulder, her lips pressed tightly together as she clutched onto him as though her life depended on it. Tears threatened to form in her eyes but she blinked them away as she clung tighter to him. A smile twitched its way up Diego's lips as his eyes drifted to Sersi who stared at them in utter shock. In fact the entire room was staring at them in utter shock. If even possible, Nyx gripped tighter to Diego, her smile returning to her lips as she blinked away the tears forming in her eyes. "You came?"

A frown threatened to break Diego's smile at her question. "Of course I came after you, kid." His hold tightened around her reassuringly as he set her feet back to the ground. He pulled away from her, resting his hands on her shoulders instead. "I-I didn't know," The frown was breaking through his smile now as he stared at her in nothing short of guilt. "If I knew what he was...I would have never let-"