.𝟒𝟎 - 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡

𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐂𝐑𝐈𝐌𝐄
⋆⋅✧⋅⋆
(the little death)

𝐃eath hung above Nyx like a suffocating cloud of smoke. It forced itself into her airways, choking her to a slow and steady end. Too much of it had already entered her lungs and the damage would be irreversible. She couldn't tell when it had happened or how it even started, but she knew for certain she was sinking into the reaper's cold embrace. The control she thought to have had on her life slipped away from her fingers faster than she could have begun to grasp onto it and she found herself spiraling into disparity. The freeze had already started even if she wanted to claw her way back into the warmth of life. She was helpless to stop it. Death had its eyes on her.

A straightjacked held her limbs tightly together rendering her immobile and the silver collar pinched tightly to her neck suppressed her connection with her power. As if that wasn't enough, the room she'd been locked up in only solidified her fate in the desperate scramble to cling to life. The white walls flashed brightly around her burning into her very soul. It locked her into a helpless state; forcing her thoughts to spin and her heart to quicken it's beat in terror. It was like she was a child all over again, locked away in the bright room for hours on end. It was created to drive her toward insanity. A punishment so harsh that even the strength of her resolve crumbled beneath. She wanted nothing more than to get free of this torture. But even if she could somehow overpower the inhibitor, the gentle touch of darkness was out of reach under the harsh rays of light shining upon her. Nothing could reprieve her of the blinding color. 

Every odd that the universe had to offer was now pinned against her. The fates finally had her where they wanted, backed into a corner with no escape. She had ignorantly plated perfectly into their game. She thought herself to be free of their reigns all this time, but she knew now that she was always a pawn never the operator. She could see their smug smiles shining through the fabric of reality to haunt her as they boasted their long awaited victory. 

They had finally won the war. 

Escape for her appeared impossible. With her connection to the darkness shot and her limbs bound so tight not even the idea of freedom could muster the strength to cut the rope. She was helpless to do anything to save herself. However, the universe always created some kind of loophole for those with slick skin. Appearances can be deceiving and the eyes were never something to trust completely. An animal would chew off its own leg to get free of a trap. What would Nyx do? Every trap has a flaw, even those that appear indestructible. All Nyx had to do was sit patiently and wait for the right moment. The universe would grant her release, it had fought in her favor too long to obey the fates now. Or at least that's what she told herself to contain the building fear of her utter failure.