.𝟒𝟑 - 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡

Start from the beginning

"No," Nyx shook her head. "There's nothing you could have done." She reassured him as her hands rose to wipe her eyes, clearing the last of the sadness within them. A shaky breath left her lips as she said, "He made his choice." With that she pushed out of his arms, her gaze shifting to Sersi beside him. "I see you've made yours?" 

Sersi held her gaze for a moment before nodding. "My loyalities have been confused with servitude too long." Her posture straightens slightly as she speaks the words. 

Nyx nodded back to her, a small smile cracking on her lips. "On that much we agree."

Sersi scoffed with a small smile. "My loyalities lie with our team."

"Good," Nyx stated before turning around to face the group of agents surrounding them. Her eyes scanned each of their faces though whether it was to stick them to memory or to try to intimidate any double agents, they couldn't be sure. A fierce silence overtook the room and the air seemed to chill as the shadows began to grow. The moon was calling for vengeance. "Are all your loyalists out of the halls?" Nyx finally asked, a sigh of relief seeming to  encompass the crowd agents. 

"Everyone's been warned," Herb confirmed for the group. 

Nyx's gaze dropped down to his shorter figure as she inquired, "And the briefcase?"

Another man spoke up this time, one near the back of the room. "Ready," He declared as he pulled the object out from behind him.

"Good." Her gaze then shifted to Niko who was eyeing her with anticipation. She wasn't the only one who wanted revenge. "Ready?" She asked.

"Do you even have to ask?" Niko inquired as he moved to step beside her. 

She scoffed, a smile quickly taking to her lips. Niko mirrored her smile as he slipped his hand into her own. Her gaze dropped back to Herb as she instructed, "Take Diego back where he belongs."

"What?!" Nyx turned at his outburst to find his shocked stare directed right at her. "What about you? I don't want to leave you here, not after what I've heard. Come with me." Nyx ignroed his pleading, her gaze shifting back to Herb as she nodded. "You know what to do."

Herb nodded back to her. "I do," He confirmed.

Nyx gaze returned to Diego. "I can't go back yet." I say, the words sparking an uproar of unspoken protests from Diego. "The moon demands vengeance." As though to back up her claim, the room visually darkened and the shadows began to climb off the walls. It were as though the darkness had taken on a life of its own. "Blood must be given. Go." She insists. "I'll meet you in Dallas." 

Diego opened his mouth like he was about to say something but then quickly closed it with a short nod. He looked down to Herb who was now holding the briefcase as he ordered, "You come right back and get her." 

"That's the plan," Herb agreed. 

"We don't have much time," Sersi speaks up not a second later. "I get you want to make a point but you have to remember not to let it get out of control. If you take out everyone the Handler will be able to figure out what happened and everyone here will be executed." She says, concern lacing her voice.

"I'm aware," Nyx says as she crosses her arms over her chest.

"You have about three minutes before they realize you're missing and the alarms blare." She continues on speaking. "Do not let Lila see you. She was raised in the shadows alongside us, every move we know she does too. As for her power, not even I know of it. Tread with caution around her." Sersi's gaze then switched to Niko. "Be careful," She said before walking over to him and engulfing him into a hug. "I'll see you in Dallas."