3 Fall of the Papacy in History

The major impact on the life cycle of the Papacy was the action of Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte during the French Revolution; it was then that his General, Alexander Bertier entered the Vatican, took Pope Pius VI captive, and exiled him to France wh...

The major impact on the life cycle of the Papacy was the action of Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte during the French Revolution; it was then that his General, Alexander Bertier entered the Vatican, took Pope Pius VI captive, and exiled him to France where he died within two years. The papacy was abolished and not reinstated until some years later when Bonaparte resolved that without a religious structure, his Empire would not function effectively as the people could not be controlled. The date of this historical event was AD 1798 – it has since become the most significant historical mark of Papal activity in modern history, as well as in Biblical prophecy.

The final healing of the deadly wound suffered by the papacy will occur when the papacy is reestablished to the same level of authority and control which she had just prior to the wounding - the power she inflicted during the Dark Ages of history.

These actions of the papacy will be as disastrous for the people of God as that which they suffered for the period of 1,260 years from AD 538 to AD 1798.