Chapter 10 Lighthouse

Start from the beginning

Sometimes I hate baths. I get to see my scar on my hips. It's ugly. I tried many creams to make it disappear but it's still here. It's not even rugged, it's smooth yet it didn't give an asset to me, it's plain ugly, it discolored my skin tone.

I also hate baths because you begin to contemplate life.

As a child, I had been immensely proud of having such a family, where my parents would bring their only child in their summer vacation home—where they'd allow me to befriend anyone.

I met Rosa when we went to the beach and I saw her playing sandcastles alone. I was intrigued by her, she had talent. I talked to her and that's how we began to be friends. Every summer, I'd return here and she'd always welcome me at the airport.

And during one of our sleepovers, I would feel good when either of our fathers would tell us stories about our courageous grandfathers, who had caught huge games and then succumbed in the depths of the sea to retrieve pearls and take snapshots of corals. My personal favorites were myths and legends.

But my childhood ended when we were attacked by a shark. Suddenly my trauma triggered; frightening memories, a sense of constant danger. I felt my lips shaking nervously but I knew that nothing could make them stop. My head was hurting badly and merely moving would prove to be impossible without feeling that terrible aching pulsating, numbing every inch of my tired body. Not even thinking could be regarded as being easy and it certainly wasn't relieving in any way at that time. Nevertheless, I opened my eyes, feeling partly grateful and less disconnected.

I remembered that I'm such a fool. My therapist had helped me moved on. Rosa and her father had moved on, why did the triggers come back?

Only as I stayed in my bathroom, in the deafening silence of the morning, did I realize just how much I was hungry. I emerged from the tub after half an hour of reflections and as I headed towards my closet and put clothes on then descended the elevator

I reached the dining area. I noticed that there were only me, Rosa and some of her friends preparing the meals. Rosa looked pretty, her hair hanging loosely on her shoulders. She didn't wear it in a bun or a ponytail today.

My childhood friend let out an exclamation of surprise and in a sudden uplifted mood, "Glad you're awake, Kaka." Rosa greeted.

My head at the moment was pulsating in pain but refrained from complaining as I usually did and instead smiled, not wanting to draw attention to the fact that I was suffering from a terrible condition. I nodded sympathetically towards her surprised face.

The boundary of being civil changed when she wrapped her arms around me, rubbing my back. "You don't look okay, something I can do? Ask away, I'll treat you more than I'm getting paid."

My cheeks went pink at that. "Rosa, can I have some err... breakfast?" I then asked while.

"Breakfast? We're already serving lunch, sweetheart," she replied and her friends laughed.