2 - Village Safety

Curtains were flung open, neighbors crowding their windows for a glimpse of the red fury flying down the road on the wings of screeching tires. Chris kept his eyes on Jack as the truck door slammed, rattling the old windows. Whispers of smoke leaked from Barry's shoulders as his footsteps burned the grass. The door handle sizzled and glowed under his hand as he fished his keys from his pocket. At least they locked it. The door slammed and he marched across the room, knowing he'd have to repaint the floor if he didn't get splashed soon.

"Hey, Barry." He said it casually, still staring across the yard with his phone to his chest. He was torn from the window and pulled to Barry's chest with his brothers, the living heater breathing a sigh of relief.

"Are you alright?" he asked, holding Chris' shoulders.

"We're fine," Chris said. "Got some cams on us, but no tails until he was in the yard." Barry frowned and moved back to the window, much cooler than he was before. "He said he was from Inumep," Chris continued, watching the relaxed shoulders of their shield. "Works in gen-mod. Felt off, so-"

"So you did what I taught you. Good." His voice was threatening and factual. There was no smoke or steam near him, no warping air or reddening hair.

"Why would Inumep be watching us?" Kils asked.

"James, did you bring your chair back?"

"Yeah," he said quietly. "It was close, but not bad enough to break out."

"Did any of you use your powers?" Barry asked quietly. Glances were exchanged and feet shuffled. Only Zouro was still, watching Barry curiously with Shirly on his shoulder.

"Chris froze the lot," he said quietly. Barry turned to look at them peripherally. "He froze the building so we could escape." Barry silently turned back to the window. Chris' stomach tightened. It was one thing to use powers around the house, but public was dangerous; Barry knew that better than anyone.

"Good," he said finally. It was barely louder than a whisper, but it was there, opening jaws in awe as Chris' shame vanished. "You kept your brothers safe, that's all I asked."

"So what now?" Kils asked, tracing Barry with his eyes. He wasn't even tense – just focused.

"You," his eyes traced the window frame slowly, "do nothing. Stay inside with the cameras rolling."

"You're not seriously leaving," James argued, his chest puffing out in defiance.

"Of course I'm not leaving." Barry finally stepped away from the window. "I'm just getting rid of the threat."

"You're going to talk to him?" Chris asked in disbelief. "Barry, we don't know what he is-"

"He works for gen-mod, there's no way he's like or wants anything good for anything like you. If a man wants something badly enough, he can be reasoned with."

"Not if he stalks kids!" Kils argued, fists tightening as he stepped forward. "Barry, you can't go."

"Easy, my loves," he whispered, gently stroking each of their faces. "Easy. Just a chat and I'll be back. You'll see the whole thing. Besides," he glanced at the window again, "he really doesn't feel like us. And with a body like that, I can take him easily. Two minutes, I promise." James hummed in frustration as Barry gently shut the door. Zouro's ears perked up to the click of the lock and he stepped towards the window. Chris said nothing about his sudden quietness. He'd been like that with Barry before. It would pass in a few days, but Chris couldn't help but smile. Zouro would be shocked the first time he saw Barry's real fire.

"Who is he?" he whispered to the glass. The older three glanced at each other. They knew the stories, the warnings Barry gave them of hunters and trappers before letting them into the woods. They remembered the reminders to be careful because laws couldn't protect them.