"Charlotte," the brunette replied, dusting off her pants.

"You weren't here when I first arrived."

"Because I was off working, I just got back-"

"And how long will you be staying?" Anne snapped.

"How long will you?" Charlotte cocked her head, smiling slightly when Anne sent her a harsh glare.

It was clear Marilla was having doubts about keeping Anne, due to how territorial of Green Gables she was, Charlotte picked up on that.

"I don't remember you from the orphanage," Anne addressed Jerry, watching as he worked.

"No, I come from town, big family. With so many of us, some must work."

"Well if you come from a large family it may trouble your conscience to know you're displacing my own position in my very first potential family. Both of you."

"Excuse me?" Charlotte raised her eyebrows. She was known in Green Gables for being distributive, but to Charlotte, she didn't allow herself to be a pushover. She learned how to stick up for herself after her first day of school. Kids picked on her because she was her skin wasn't pale like theirs, seeing as there were no people in Avonlea who matched Charlotte's tone. "We're not the ones wrecking the possibility of you staying here."

"I don't think the Cuthbert's will need you if I stay," Anne said as Jerry picked up a pitchfork. "In fact if you hand me your pitchfork I will be happy to finish your task."

"What's your problem?" Jerry asked.

"You, you're my problem."

"All I'm doing is my job, what are you supposed to be doing?" Jerry said sternly, climbing down the ladder to continue with tasks a distance away from Anne.

Anne looked over at Charlotte, her face turning to confusion at her clothing. She had never seen a girl wear pants and a shirt instead of a frilly dress. "Do you not own a dress?"

"I've got one, but I hate it. I can't get anything done in it," Charlotte replied. The girl was used to being in long pants, dresses felt like something she would wear if she was forced into it. 

"Do you sleep in the upstairs room in the Cuthbert's house?"

"Yeah, why. Do you have to share with me now?"

Anne nodded, turning on her heels and strutting out of the barn.

Charlotte stepped through the doorway of Green Gables, plopping herself down at the dining table, Marilla ignoring the fact the brunette had bits of straw stuck in her hair from her helping Jerry with the hay. 

"We got an invitation to tea tomorrow afternoon," Matthew announced. "The Barry's, they want to meet Anne. And Mr. Barry invited Charlotte along too."

Marilla looked towards the two girls, one sitting down cross legged, the other sitting as straight as a pin. Her face molded itself into shock. "I haven't finished the dress, Anne can't go in that. Charlotte, make sure your dress is fine looking."

"Who are the Barry's?" Anne asked, her voice trembling. "And why do they want to meet me?"

"Our neighbors, a very respectable family," Marilla replied. "I expect you two to be on your best behavior."

"But why?" Anne asked.

"They have two kids," Charlotte replied.

"Very well mannered girls," Marilla said, pacing around the kitchen to finish Anne's dress.

Anne looked down slightly. "Do they need help?"

"Diana is the girl nearest your age," Matthew spoke.

"If you stay here, I perhaps the two of you will become friends," Marilla spoke.

"A real friend." Anne looked down even more. Charlotte scanned her face, feeling sympathetic of the redhead.

Charlotte's eyebrows lowered as Marilla continued speaking, not realizing Anne was staring into a place mat in her own world. "What's wrong, are you ill?"

"No, Miss Cuthbert, I'll be as quiet as a mouse," Anne said glumly.

Charlotte pulled her eyes away from the girl, and down to the cup of tea in front of her. 

---

20/11/2023

I wrote this a while ago, and reading it back, I like to think my writing has gotten better.

But enjoy the first chapter, and enjoy waiting for a certain someone to arrive later.