The Extent He'll Go

Start from the beginning

"She doesn't deserve the life you have in mind for her... to be used by you like some sort of killing machine."

"That's what Nicolette was gifted to do, Atlas, and I thought you, of all people, would see that. In a way, she was bred to do that." Atlas couldn't take it any longer and hung up the call. He holds the phone in his hand, his body shaking from anger and sadness. Was he really too weak to stand up to his father? He feels so useless, just like he was as a child.

~Flashback~

"Atlas?" William's voice calls from downstairs. Atlas, let's go. You're going to be late for your training." Six-year-old Atlas eagerly rushes down the stairs.

"I'm ready, dad!" Atlas watches as William tries to catch Melody's attention, but she ignores him, walking right by. "Mama?" She gives him a small smile before leaving the room. Atlas looks back at his father and his hand on the railing. William was gripping the railing so hard his knuckles were turning white.

"Let's go, Atlas," he says through a clenched jaw. Atlas felt uneasy but didn't want to disobey his father. Atlas follows his father to the archery range, where his instructor waits. William sits on the bench, watching Atlas pick up his bow and arrow, following the instructor's instructions. Atlas doesn't notice, but William is only half paying attention, keeping an eye on his training while also on a call with someone.

"I'm telling you something is going on with that woman. She ignores me and yet shows kindness to our son, and she didn't used to act like that. She went from being kind and obedient to distant, and I want to know why! If I find out that woman is doing anything behind my back, I will personally make her pay! I have to go. Atlas is doing Archery, but find out exactly what my wife is up to." William hangs up and walks up to Atlas, fixing his posture. "The better posture, the more likely you are to accurately hit your target."

"I can do it, dad, don't worry." Atlas says confidently.

"Then do it. Let's see if you've actually improved." William stands back as Atlas aims his bow and takes a deep breath. Atlas wanted nothing more than to prove himself to his father. Once he felt confident enough, he let go of the arrow and string and watched as the arrow flew toward the target, barely missing the bullseye by a few centimeters. Atlas felt his heart drop.

"W-Wait, dad, let me try again! I can do better this time, I promise!" William scowls but waves his hand, allowing Atlas one more chance. Again, Atlas gets into position and lets the arrow and string go. This time, the arrow lands dead center in the bullseye, earning a few claps from William.

"There you go. You've improved since last time." Atlas smiles, overjoyed to finally have his father's approval.

"So I did good!?" William gives him a nod of approval."

"You did well, but keep at it." Atlas nods eagerly. Now that he finally had approval from his father, he was determined not to lose it. Later that night, Atlas can hear yelling downstairs from his bedroom. Unable to sleep and his curiosity getting the better of him, he goes down the stairs and peeks around the railing. His mother and father were in the kitchen and arguing? Atlas knew they didn't get along, but he'd never seen them argue.

"You lying bitch you think he can give you what I can't!? I can give you everything you've ever wanted! You're supposed to be my wife, loyal and obedient, not sleeping around with my loser of a friend!" His father yells, his tone full of fury.

"I'm not some clay puppet to be shaped and molded to your liking, William! I have feelings and opinions. I am a human being, a woman!" William grabs onto her shoulders.

"And you think the best way to rebel against me is sleeping with him!? We have a son, Melody! He's the future of the Russian Mafia! Do you not love him!?" Melody only glares at him, smacking his hands off of her.

"Of course I love him; I love him with every fiber of my being, but I have my own free will! You shouldn't even be getting involved in my personal matters!" Melody snaps back. As Atlas peers around the corner, he accidentally knocks over a vase, catching William and Melody's attention as they spot him.

"Atlas..." Melody quickly walks up to him and scoops him up in her arms. "Let's get you to bed." William stays in the kitchen glaring at Melody with a burning hatred in his eyes as she carries Atlas back to his room. Melody lays Atlas back in his bed, tucking him in.

"Mama?" Atlas calls out as Melody turns to leave.

"Yes, my little chernaya ptitsa?"

"Are... are you and dad going to keep fighting?" Her gaze softens, and she walks over, sitting at the foot of his bed as she reaches over and caresses his head.

"Sometimes... parents have fights when something goes wrong. And in daddy's eyes, mommy did something wrong, and mommy will be leaving soon."

"Leaving?" Atlas sits up and looks at his mother. "Are you going to leave me behind? What about me? And dad?" He says, tears welling up in his eyes.

"Oh, my little chernaya ptitsa, I won't leave you, not ever." She brings him into her embrace. "I would never leave you behind, and if you want to see your father in the future, I will never stop you."

"Why do we have to leave mama?"

"I'll tell you the reason when you're older, but right now, the safest thing for us to do in a couple of months is leave and go stay with your grandpa, okay? Don't worry, chernaya ptitsa mama is going nowhere." She kisses him on the head, holding him close to her chest.

"Will dad be mad at us?" Melody hesitates to answer.

"I don't know... mama doesn't know how your father will feel." Melody begins to hum a familiar tune and begins to sing quietly. "Sleep, my love, sleep! The house lights go out; The birds are quiet in the garden, Fish fell asleep in the pond, The moon shines in the sky, The moon is looking into the window Close your eyes now, Sleep, my love, sleep!" Atlas felt his eyes getting heavy as he yawns. She continued to sing until she could confirm he was asleep. William is standing in the doorway as Melody tucks Atlas back into bed.

"This conversation isn't over, Melody." He says in a harsh tone. Melody leaves the room shutting the door behind her.

"So what if i slept with your friend? This marriage between us was arranged William and you don't care about me or Atlas all you care about is training Atlas to be just like you a cruel and coldhearted man!" William's eyes narrow and he grabs her wrist swinging her around to face him.

"I am your husband and it doesn't matter whether i love you or not you are my wife both on paper and in name and there is nothing either you nor i can do to change that!" He squeezes her wrist tightly causing her to wince in pain. "If i see you with him again i will go to extreme measures Melody trust me i will." They stand there momentarily glaring at each other until Melody lowers her head only then does William let go.

"Yes William i understand." She says quietly. William scoffs.

"You yourself call me a cruel man just think about how far i'll go to punish you should this happen again? Don't even think of escaping me and taking Atlas with you. I will keep you imprisoned here if i have to." He warns.

"I understand, William."