»»» 𝔦.𝔦𝔳

Start from the beginning

Eventually, Fury began to skim through her file as she continued.

"Upon deployment, the goal was to eliminate the threat. I concluded that the best course of action was subtle infiltration—playing the long-game. Mireia Escobedo made contact with several lower members and worked her way up the hierarchy. In that file, there's a list of every active member I could find, and a separate list of the blackmailed victims. I had gathered intel for three months before I discovered their trafficking system. Women and children, separated from their families, kept in secure warehouses with lack of nutrition, hygiene, and medical care. Many were physically abused. I shut down all five of these sites. Ten small-scale businesses, four corporations, all infiltrated. Two hundred men imprisoned, a hundred dead—either for their lack of humanity or inherit ability to bail out of the justice system—, less than one-fifty men free of servitude, and more than a hundred women and children accounted for. Though I've destroyed their base of operations, there are plenty of other members in several countries conducting the same horrors. Lucky for them, various government agencies have received anonymous tips about these other members, but I wouldn't mind overseeing the cleanup if I have to."

A beat passed, and Fury slowly raised a brow. 

"Is that it?" he drawled. "Sure you didn't solve world hunger while you were at it?"

Truth held back a smile.

"If you count the victims I fed and sheltered, then I suppose I did play a small part in that solution."

Fury nodded thoughtfully. He glanced at the paperwork once more before closing it and meeting her eyes.

"And you did all of that in five months?"

Truth tilted her head.

"I'm beginning to feel insulted with this line of questioning, Jackson. I've been working for you for five years, and you've known me for seven—I'd hate for you to start doubting me now."

"Well, you likely just lowered the percentage of crime in Salvador by about ten percent. Every time I think you can't impress me anymore than you have, you go and do it again."

At that, Truth allowed a small smirk, masking the feeling of pride flowing through her at the statement. Impressed wasn't a word she'd heard often.

"Good to know I can still impress you, Boss. Though, your admittance to being wrong about something is concerning. I'd hope you aren't coming down with something." Then, before he could respond, she added, "Do you even get sick? Or is that something else that can't kill you?"

"Ha ha," Fury deadpanned.

When Truth added nothing more and made no move to leave, simply staring at Fury, he raised a brow.

"Got something else to say?"

Truth wasn't one to back down from a challenge.

"I wasn't aware you were looking to recruit the Black Widow."

He didn't ask how she found out.