Chapter 1: Turn the Beat Back

Comenzar desde el principio

"I'm actually eightee-" I started, but she instantly interrupted me.
"Young man, if you're getting into reckless fights, then you are nothing but a little boy!" she hissed.
"Eh...city council isn't going to tell me anything I don't already know," Cody shrugs nonchalantly, "Street lights going out, pot holes need to be fixed, police budget needs to be cute again...jeez...it's bad enough I can barely pay my directors!"

"You are the one who decided to put Tina Armstrong in charge of managing public relations, the issues of the budget are hardly the council's fault!" his assistant shot back, "regardless, what were you thinking taking this young man to our office?"

"Tina works for free, thank you very much, she makes plenty of money from movie royalties and exhibition matches!" Cody corrects, crossing his arms and waiving her arguments away like they were nothing but a bad stench.
"You hired a wrestler for office? I thought political bullshit was supposed to be boring..." I think out loud, turning to face Cody with newfound respect.
"Sure did, play your cards right kid and I might just let you meet her," Cody smirked.

"Stay on task!" his assistant suddenly lashed out, slamming her clipboard onto the table, causing both me and the big mayor himself to leap out of our chair and yelp like frightened kittens.

"...Right uh...the kid...well to be honest, I'm not sure why I decided to bring him back here...going to the police just seemed too much like a head ache..." He reached back up and rubbed the back of his head, "I don't even wanna think about the paperwork I would have to do if I did an arrest as the mayor."
"How else is he supposed to be charged?"
"Charged?" Cody blinked, "...Oh yeah...uh..." he thinks a minute, "...How about...one year probation, you gotta check in every day with me so I can make sure you aren't walking around with new black eyes or anything..."
"You cant just give him a sentence on the spot, we need a court case, a jury, and-"
"Lots and lots of tax dollars and time?" Cody smirks, waving a finger at his assistant, "Trust me, this is a whole lot easier and a whole lot cheaper than putting him and prison...and come on look at him, could couldn't hurt a fly! No need to put that mark on his record."

"Excuse me!" I glare at him, protesting him just trying to sweep my fighting capabilities under the rug.

"Trust me kid you are nothing compared to what I used to sweep the streets with back in the day, those guys were just a late afternoon snack for me," Cody smirks, happy to get a rise out of me.

"I have an undefeated record...sure, it's not in any official matches, but a promotion isn't going to care if my fights are above the table or not!" I stand up, sizing him up subconsciously like everyone in the street fighting world did the moment they were challenged.

"Fine kid, if you think you can fight...we can fight...every day, six o clock sharp, meet me here..." Cody stands up, putting his foot down and instinctively putting out a hand to silence his assistant, "And when you finally get good enough to beat me once, then we'll call your sentenced served...if you're gonna fight then you're gonna fight right, right?"

I take a step back, reading him like a book. He wasn't mad at me in the slightest for what I was doing, in fact he probably slapped these cuffs on me just out of obligation for for show. Why else would he just take me back to the office instead of to the station? He probably was just looking for an excuse to get into more fights, and using me for it.

"...Will you teach me to do the tornado uppercut thingy?" I question.

"Well of course I will! If you're good enough," He flashed his teeth with an evil grin, "And so long as you don't meet me with a new black eye from anyone but me!"

"...Fine then...I won't show up with any injuries, but I can't promise I won't be getting into anymore fights."

"That's the spirit, you're starting to remind me of myself back in the day," his legitimately excited behavior was a far cry from the bored Mayor that I had seen walking down that alleyway before, "We'll start tomorrow!"

"You gonna take these chains off?" I put my hands out, pleading.

Cody rubs his chin for a bit in response before shifting his hands onto his head and making sure his hair was still intact, "Nah."

"Then...how am I supposed to shower and change my clothes if I have to wear this thing?"

"When you come meet me for your daily beat down, I'll take it off for you to take care of yourself...but you have to wear them at all other times...Call it insurance you'll be back..." his voice had long died down to his more laid-back, 'done with life' tone.
"That's cruel and unusual!"
"It's better than prison, ain't it?"
"Yeah...I guess you're right..."

"And uh..." Cody reaches up, starting to stroke his chin, ideas churning in his head like prize winning batter, "Maybe if you get good enough I'll pit you up against real fighters, not those backstabbing punks you've been running with," he sits back in his chair, throwing his arms behind his head and relaxing, "Like Tina, for example."

"...You..." I narrow my eyes, "...You had this all figured out for a while now didn't you?"
"Yeah I thought about it on our walk over here, what I was going to do with you...I knew there was no way in hell I could get a guy like you to stop fighting so..." Cody shrugs, "Might as well make sure you're doing it right."

"Mayor Cody!" his red head assistant snaps, "How are you to find time for such utterly barbaric endeavors in between your mayoral duties?! This child isn't-"
"That 'Child' is my Director of Street Fighting, consider yourself hired," Cody cracked his neck and winked at me.

"And what kind of duties is an alleged Director of Street Fighting supposed to uphold?!" she grimaces, leaning back and gripping the bridge of her nose.
"Helping me blow off steam after along day of mayoring," Cody stands back up, rolling his shoulders and fixing his watch yet again (despite the fact it was in a perfectly fine position on his wrist), "Come on...let me have this, it's a whole let less trouble than me walking around town searching for problems, isn't it? Wherever I have business is where he and I will throw down, seems like a win win to me?"
"Only if he promises to make sure you actually do work instead of fighting!"

"I promise..." I speak up meekly.
"See? Kid promises, we'll be good!" Cody pleads.

"...Whatever...get out of my sight."

And before we knew it, Cody and I were shoved out of the office into the hall with the doors slamming into our backs, the slam echoing throughout the city hall...though it didn't seem to cause a disturbance whatsoever. I suppose it was a safe bet to assume Cody getting his ass chewed by this woman was a pretty regular occurrence.

"She's almost as fast as you are," I comment.
"Oh yeah...faster," Cody chuckles, patting down his pockets for something I couldn't see.
"She's hate fucking you, isn't she?"
"Oh yeah...lots."