Book Highlight: Ricochet

Author : DeejayDJ010

1. What would be alternative titles for you book looking in as a reader?

Interesting thing is the book did not have title until the last word of the first version was written. The title was decided before posting to Wattpad (a couple of days after I finished the last chapter). The title is symbolic to the story wherein decisions made by all the characters and how they deal with it differentiates them. "Trauma" was the other title that came up. But it's too bland and a downer of a title.

2. What chapter is your favorite in terms of the most fun to write and the most important to the book

Chapter 9 titled 9.8m/s^2.  I personally enjoyed naming the chapters. It did not have them when it was initially published. The chapter is fun because of the sense of thrill it tries to convey. This, along with the previous chapter, I think sets the tone of action/adventure that the story is going for.

The most important to the book would be "Borrowed Time".  This is something that some of the readers might not be expecting from a book like this. It felt good writing the chapter.

3. What do you think is a plotline/writing method which sets your book apart?

Most of the characters exist in a spectrum between good and bad. While this is not unique in of itself, I think the usage of humor and the way action is integrated into the plot is something I hope will be noticeable. The way book stays topical, the social commentary, and the way some characters buck the conventional tropes associated with their archetype is something that I consciously added to the book.

4. What do you think readers tend to overlook that you wish more attention was given to, with regards to your book and otherwise.

While I won't argue that the book is deep and thought provoking, it balances the popcorn fun of it all with some amount of self reflection and melancholy. It is a semi-serious, semi-realistic approach. I find the antagonist interesting.

5. What do you want readers to take away from reading your book?

To be in the moment and move forward without regrets.

6. Characters that you most resonate with

Judy, Clara for her relatability.  Jaimie for how much one of my readers likes him :) 

7. If your book is ongoing or if you are planning for a sequel, how much does the reader input affect your plot direction regarding characters

While plot will have no bearing on reader inputs, I'm open to tweak some elements based on it.

8. Do you think your book works better as a binge read or a chapter wise read or all the same

I think it is suited for a chapter-by-chapter read. Each chapter has a specific vibe to it.

9. Other than your current book, if you were to branch out, what genre would be the first in mind?

Sci-Fi despite how difficult it is to get started with it.  One day I would like to write a fantasy story because of the imagination involved and you can't go wrong with a fantasy book :) 

10. How would you pitch your story to a new reader

When Jaimie witnesses a kidnapping, it throws his whole life into disarray. He is now a changed man in more ways than one. Along the way he makes some unlikely allies, and they become united by something more than just circumstances. They realize that their lives are a maniacally twisted entanglement of misfortune, injustice and corruption. In a tale of nature versus nurture, the world can only be described as gray. The question remains, will they make it out of the other side?

Thanks for reading :)