Book Highlight: Dangerous, Diabolical: Book 1 (Iridescent)

Author : TheTravellersloft

1. What would be alternative titles for you book looking in as a reader?

For a while the first book was going to be called 'Iridescent', followed by the second 'Woodsmoke' but I started feeling like it was too generic and changed it to the 'Dangerous, the Deadly and the Diabolical'. In the end, I completely cut this down to 'Dangerous, Diabolical' because it summed the story up best for me.

2. What chapter is your favorite in terms of the most fun to write and the most important to the book

There's quite a few I enjoyed, Chapter 11 in my opinion is the most fun, because it starts to tie the loose ends together and my MC could truly pass as some kind of mastermind if it wasn't all a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Any scene with her best friend Willow is fun too, I could write their banter for days.

3. What do you think is a plotline/writing method which sets your book apart?

Apparently my writing was funny. I'm not sure if it's the dry British humour, but I didn't intend for it to be that quirky. It's fits though; my whole story is just set out to be pure chaos. The story winds notes of the supernatural in a modern day setting, so a lot of the story is unexpected but makes sense in its own way.

4. What do you think readers tend to overlook that you wish more attention was given to, with regards to your book and otherwise.

It's on its second edit now, so if there's a detail in there, it's on purpose as I've been tweaking a lot of chapters. As it's told from an isolated POV of the MC, the other characters in the book are continuing to function, so a lot happens off page and subtly hinted at throughout.  

5. What do you want readers to take away from reading your book?

I hope they enjoy the world as much as I do. It's also a story for people that are fed up of characters that are 'good' or 'bad' for no particular reason other than a plot point. All my characters walk a grey line of morality and aren't what they initially appear.

6. Characters that you most resonate with

Both Vampire Grahame and the bouncy Joanne. Grahame is a boring, by-the-book kind of guy and I love rules. Joanne is too hyper and happy for her own good and they're both grating characters in their own way. I'd probably be closer to either of them if I asked my friends!

7. If your book is ongoing or if you are planning for a sequel, how much does the reader input affect your plot direction regarding characters

None at all unfortunately! I'm already plotting book three so whatever befalls them is pretty much set in stone.

8. Do you think your book works better as a binge read or a chapter wise read or all the same

Binge read 100 percent. I think there's too many minor details that stack up if you're not paying attention that are easy to miss.

9. Other than your current book, if you were to branch out, what genre would be the first in mind?

I wouldn't mind writing a fantasy genre. Dystopian worlds are always intriguing too.

10. How would you pitch your story to a new reader

I can be quite shy so I'd send them my blurb:

Celandine 'Andy' Doukas despises humans and will do whatever it takes to keep her true identity a secret, however her world is turned upside down when a powerful sorcerer shows up on her doorstep after a series of mysterious deaths. As she reluctantly gets involved in the investigation, she finds herself torn between her loyalty to her own kind and her growing attraction to the charismatic sorcerer.

As the body count rises and the stakes get higher, Andy must navigate a dangerous world of magical beings and decide which side she's truly on. Will she choose to protect her own or risk everything for him? With twists and turns at every corner, Andy is about to discover that being diabolical is deliciously delightful.

Thanks for the interview experience :)