"Looks like I'll be walking home tonight," I say, taking a big sip of my champagne.

"Hang on, you're not living at Gabriel's?"

I shake my head. "We decided I'd stay in the condo until we got married."

"Really? I'd have thought he'd want you close. Gabriel's a man who likes to have control at all times in his world, and all the things in it."

Her words are a reminder of how well she knows him. But instead of being unsettling, they're a comfort. More than anything, I'm grateful that I have someone who is familiar with his particular quirks and habits.

"It was my idea. I wanted to keep the separation, in many avenues. Even in..." I trail off. Maybe this is TMI.

"Even in what? Bed?" She arches an eyebrow and a wicked smile spreads on her face.

I scrunch my nose and stick my tongue out. "Perv. But yes. We're not. Ah. We're waiting. Until the wedding day. I can't believe I'm telling you this."

"Oh my God. That's both pure and ridiculous. I love you two crazy kids. Seriously. I love that you've both chosen each other. And that you're making plans for the future. I couldn't be happier for you."

Her smile is so genuine that I know I've done the right thing by telling her.

"We're waiting to make a big announcement in the newspapers and such. We're planning on visiting my parents in about ten days. Gabriel wants to officially ask my father for my hand. He insisted on that, even if my father doesn't give his blessing, Gabriel wanted to make it known that I'm his and all that Italian Mafia stuff."

Cath rolls her eyes. "Of course he did. At his core, he's incredibly old world. Still, it's nice that your parents are going to meet him soon. Will you talk about a wedding then, too? Any plans? Ideas? How can I help?"

I shake my head. "Not really, we've discussed a few ideas but nothing concrete. But I know he'll want something luxurious yet intimate. Just family and close friends on a secluded beach somewhere, and I totally agree. We briefly talked about Italy, in the small town where his ancestors came from, but that seemed a bit too Godfather II to me, you know."

Cath's eyes light up. "A destination wedding sounds amazing! I can totally see you two pledging your love with the sun setting over Caribbean waters. St. Lucia? Or maybe..." she taps her chin with her index finger, "One of those super secluded islands in The Bahamas, the kind you need a seaplane to get to. Or, how about this? I know an exclusive resort in Jamaica, it's owned by a pretty famous artist. And then you can also smoke a fat joint right after you say I do."

We both dissolve into giggles.

"Exactly what I envisioned too! Well, not the fat joints. I'm not a huge pot smoker. Or a pot smoker at all."

But a private island ceremony feels perfect for us. No paparazzi or crowds or random acquaintances. No keeping up appearances, no society shindigs. Just those we care about most.

If it were up to me, it would be the two of us only.

I reach across the table and squeeze her hand. "Cath, you've been such an amazing friend. Would you, um..." I take a deep, fortifying breath. "Be my maid of honor?"

"Oh my god, are you serious? Of course! Nothing would make me happier!" she shrieks. We embrace again, both laughing and crying with excitement.

"This is going to be epic," Cath declares. "The wedding of the year. The party of the decade. Leave all the planning to me. I'll make sure it's everything you dreamed of and more."

"Seriously, you're the best, and Gabriel was so happy when I said I wanted you at my side," I tell her sincerely. With Gabriel's resources and Cath's taste, our big day will be straight out of a fairytale.

As we chat about reception possibilities, a familiar face enters the lounge. My stomach drops when I spot Beckett Sinclair weaving through the crowd toward me.

A replay of our disastrous last date pops into my mind. I haven't seen him in the condo building and have ignored his many calls and texts. I kind of hoped he'd gotten the message that night and somehow faded into the sunset since I hadn't gotten any texts today.

His efforts had barely registered, of course, because I'd been caught up in the excitement of the engagement.

From the intense expression on Beckett's face as he walks over, I was completely misguided and had underestimated him. Shit.

Cath notices my expression. "What's wrong?" She follows my gaze. "Who's that creepy guy coming over here?"

"That's Beckett Sinclair," I hiss. "Remember? The guy who owns the bookstore, who came to your gallery opening? While Gabriel and I split we went out a couple of times. Nothing serious, we didn't sleep together, but he can't seem to leave me alone."

A look of horror crosses Cath's face.

Beckett reaches our table, sliding into the open seat beside me. His eyes rake over my body in a way that makes me shiver. "Well, hello Riley. Fancy running into you here."

Cath's eyes narrow, and she angles her body between us. "She's not interested, buddy. I suggest you move along."

When Cath wants to get her point across, she's every bit as abrupt, menacing, and terrifying as Gabriel. I admire it, honestly.

"Yeah, we're kind of chatting about something important here," I say softly. "I think it's best if you leave."

Beckett ignores Cath, focused solely on me. His hand reaches for my thigh under the table. I jerk away, skin crawling.

"I've missed you, Riley," he purrs. "I know things were awkward during our last date, with that other guy and all. But I forgive you/ I know you've just been playing hard to get." His fingers graze my arm.

Suddenly Cath slams her fist on the table, causing Beckett to jump. "She said back the fuck off, asshole." Her eyes blaze with protective fury.

Beckett shoots her an irritated look before turning back to me with a chilling smile. "We'll chat soon, princess. I'll be seeing you very soon..."

With that ominous promise, he slinks away into the shadows of the bar.

I let out a shaky breath. "What a psycho. Thanks for having my back."

Cath shakes her head. "That fucker better watch out. Does Gabriel know about him?"

"Sort of, but he doesn't know about the recent calls and texts." Truth be told, I hadn't wanted to get Gabriel going. He'd been so happy since I agreed to marry him.

"Gabriel won't stand for creeps like that skulking around his future wife. He'll put a stop to that right quick."

She's right. As much as violence unsettles me, Gabriel deals with threats decisively. If Beckett doesn't stop trying to contact me, it might be time for him to learn what happens when you mess with a mafia boss's fiancée.