"Listen, Shiro. There's nothing to worry about. You're here now, and we can fix this."

Tatsuma gestured toward the monastery.

"Let's get inside and get warm. The power is still working, and I have dinner waiting for you."

"How did you get in? I left a complex aria guarding the place."

"You left me instructions." Tatsuma opened a faded letter. "Two days before you died."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As he sat up, Shiro groaned in pain as his spine clicked in three different places. His old man's disguise wasn't overly agile first thing in the morning. His stomach growled with hungry longing as the smell of breakfast lured him to consciousness.

He wandered into the Kitchen, and Tatsuma greeted him with a full, cooked meal. As Shiro pulled up a chair, the monk sat beside him and poured hot tea. On the wall, a flat-screen TV displayed the morning news.

"Mornin'," Shiro yawned. "I slept like the dead, no pun intended."

"It's good to see you in better spirits." Tatsuma joked. "A living spirit."

They sat at the table, and Shiro dished rice, fish and omelet into bowls.

I have a question." The monk asked thoughtfully. "What are the odds that this old abandoned temple still has its utilities connected?"

"I'd say the chances are excellent," Shiro affirmed. "Given that the Takara Corporation funds it."

"Who's that?"

"Mephisto's investment group," Shiro sipped his tea. "Unlike other demonic beings, he's carefully managed his money for the last few hundred years. He's fucking loaded, and he has stocks in every profitable company. It makes sense; he can predict the future, making him a master at insider trading. The cops could never prove a thing."

"So, are you saying he left the lights on for us?"

"He knew I was coming and wanted me to watch TV."

Both men turned their attention to the screen just in time to see last night's newsreel.

"Whoa, I know her," Tatsuma remarked as an exorcist flashed onto the monitor. "She's the one that's training Rin. I met her a few months ago when she and boys vanquished the Impure King."

"The Impure King!?" Shiro practically shouted in shock. "How did that prick get loose!?"

"Meh, it's a long story and not worth telling right now." Tatsuma waved him off. "But I must admit, she is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, with the foulest mouth I've ever heard!"

The men watched Shura with interest. With the speed and agility of a superhero, she fought every type of monster imaginable and didn't even realize people were filming her. But of course, they were; nobody had ever seen a demon before, let alone a demon-slayer of Shura's calibre.

"I bet she'll be a big celebrity." Tatsuma mused. "No exorcist has ever been seen in action before. She sure doesn't look like some old monk or stuffy clergyman."

"Yeah." Shiro added, "Look at her out there; she made us look real good."

"Her skills are amazing."

Shiro shook his head. "She was my apprentice, but hell--" He motioned to the screen. "Shura's surpassed anything I'd ever taught her. She should be an arc knight, not just a first-class inspector. I wish I'd gotten to know her better, but was in a bad place. Plus, it was complicated."