nine

The week passed quicker than Jisung could even imagine. So many developments had happened and he was starting to become somewhat mutual with chenle although there was no way he was telling jeno about that afternoon in the library.

Jisungs math test had gone smoothly, he had yet to ask chenle about how it went for him. He hoped all was good, that the study session was successful.

Jeno, Jisung and Nari hung out at the weekend. They originally didn't plan to, but when they have free time what else are they supposed to do? The three went out into the city and played in their usual arcade to chill out, Jeno winning Nari a new stuffed animal for her collection and getting pretty drinks in aesthetic cafes afterwards to pass the time (Nari choosing all locations of course).

The wednesday detention had soon approached but jisung wasn't, surprisingly, dreading it this time.

"hi chenle, you're early again." Jisung smiled softly, placing his bag neatly on the desk.

"yeah well.. the teachers not here yet and i don't really like being scolded." That made jisung giggle.

"but ur a bad boy chenle, that's what comes with consequences." He giggled, taking out his notebooks. Chenle pouted, resting his head on his hand. "oh i meant to ask you. How did you do on the test?"

The question seemed to make chenle happy. "Well thanks to you jisung, i got a high B.. my parents weren't exactly happy because they were definitely expecting an A.. but i'm very happy!"

Jisung nodded, smiling at the boy's reaction. "That's what i got too... though i've asked out professor to re-mark mine because there's no way i got a B"

"am i too distracting jisung-ah?" Chenle chuckled, snatching one of the notebooks Jisung was holding. He wanted to draw, to keep his hands busy.

Jisung sighed, letting chenle take his book without a fuss. "yknow maybe you are le, i shouldn't talk to you.." He giggled "maybe even the study sessions are too much?"

Chenle rolled his eyes and shoved the boys shoulder gently. "shut up jisung, you got me from a D to a B pretty much overnight."

They both laughed, jisung looking at the other boy again before talking. "yknow maybe i'll become a teacher one day.." to which they laughed more.

They were interrupted by the professor entering the room and a harsh bang on the desk from a stack of papers. "boys. no talking." To which they were of course silent, exchanging looks now and again.

~

Jeno had waited this time for jisungs detention to end. And when he found jisung walking out and giggling to whatever nonsense chenle was spouting he was not pleased. He thought they didn't talk, he thought they weren't friends.

"Jisung?" He spoke with a raised eyebrow, not believing it was him.

"Oh hi jen, you waited? i told you not to." Jisung spoke innocently, holding onto the straps of his backpack. Chenle looked at him then back to jeno, he could feel the tension between them.

"yeah well." Jeno spoke. "i didn't think you two were on talking terms." He spoke bluntly, crossing his arms across his chest.

Jisung and chenle looked at each other simultaneously, both quickly looking away after staring into the others eyes. "um." Jisung muttered. "Chenle just wanted help with math that's all."

Jeno nodded, he didn't trust chenle around jisung yet after the incident. He was still salty about it himself to be frankly honest.

"yeah well maybe he should've asked the professor. Let's go jisung." Jeno was being harsh, pulling jisung away.

"hey!" Jisung shook Jeno off. He hated when jeno was bossy, his attitude stank. "Don't do that. Bye chenle.. i'll-ill see you in class." To which chenle nodded, bowing slightly and smiling.

~

Jeno sat on jisungs bed, waiting for the boy to return with snacks his mom had generously brought for their unplanned sleepover. The walk home was incredibly awkward, Jisung clinging onto the sleeves of his jumper, coughing softly from the cold and jeno just walking slowly beside him. The air was crisp, the darkness pulling in although it was mid afternoon. Jeno didn't want to talk and neither did Jisung but they knew it would be inevitable.

Jisung returned with a tray of snacks, placing them on the bed next to the other boy. "so.. earlier." Jeno muttered, grabbing a pretzel and munching on it.

"right, earlier." Jisung repeated, sitting next to Jen.

"what was going on? He looked at you.. weirdly."

"like friendly?"

Jeno paused. "sure..."

Jisung stayed silent for a moment. He hadn't really done anything wrong, apart from slight lies told to jeno and secrets kept. "we've just been talking jen, you don't have to worry."

Jeno took a deep breath. "are you sure? because i don't want you getting hurt again ji."

"Jeno i promise." Jisung stole a pretzel from jeno, shocked by the saltiness at first. "i think there's something going on.. like at home. He's different when he's with me compared to his parents."

Jeno nodded. "Ji, promise me if anything bad happens you'll tell me. Chenle isn't like the best person to be around.."

Jisung nodded gently, pressing a hand into jeno's shoulder. "of course i will hyung."

"right, imma go shower." Jeno chuckled, grabbing the spare pjs the other boy had lent him. Jisung nodded and started to scroll through his phone, that was until he heard the ding of his text messages.

WED 18:44

chenle: Hey jisung?
can we talk?