Chapter 3: A New Challenge

“Dinner has been prepared, the Order is awaiting you in the great hall.” I nodded and got up out of my bed. I don’t know if being the chosen one of a God is going to work for me. That’s a lot of pressure.

The maid led me down a series of corridors until we reached the dinning hall. It was huge. The table went the entire length of the hall, save a few feet on each side. It looked as if it could seat at least a hundred people. On top, a dark red and gold tapestry ran the length of the table. Plates were set on large place mats of dark red and gold as well. There were plenty of choices of food. Anything from turkey to peas or apples to carrots. My mouth instantly began to water.

“Have a seat Jayson, we have brought a few guests to the dinner. There has been much excitement buzzing around you.” It wasn’t until Cyrus mentioned anyone else that I noticed all the seats were nearly filled. Cyrus himself sat at the head of the table.

“You have a seat next to Cyrus near the front of the table.” Colton’s familiar voice came from the opposite side of the table as Cyrus.

I walked over to the empty chair and took a seat, nearly everyone in the room was staring straight at me.

“Lets all eat before we discuss anything serious. Please, help yourself.” Cyrus raised his gold goblet and the rest followed suit.

The clatter of plates rang heavy in the room as food was passed from person to person. As for myself, I chose to stick with foods I was more comfortable with, chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, nothing foreign.

“I do hope you end up fitting in here, we have no ill intentions surrounding you. Everything that happened earlier today, if we could of avoided it, we would of. I promise you that.” Cyrus’s words felt sincere, it felt like I could trust him already, but I wasn’t going to. Not yet. I simply gave him a nod and continued on with my dinner.

After everyone was fully satisfied, a string of maids came in to clear the room of the excess food and plates. Small talk from person to person occupied the time until Cyrus spoke.

“Now to more serious matters. Everyone in this room is part of the Order of the First Light, save Jayson. It is our duty to keep the world protected from magic and the harm it can cause. But believe us Jayson, magic is real, as you could see by now, and it can be very dangerous if used improperly. Now I have mentioned to you earlier about the prophesy, let me run it by you one more time. All we know about it is that you were chosen to save this world from an upcoming blight. The prophesy is vague because our Seer’s have vanished, all but one that is. It takes the combined effort of all five Seer’s to have a full prophesy. We are actively searching for the remaining four, but we fear the worst. We have taken it upon ourselves to train you the best we can, so that you will be better trained for an, emergency. You will be given an instructor who will be guiding you through your training. And as I feel you should be included in our plans, I would like to open the floor to anyone who has news. Any questions you have should be saved for a more private conversation.” Cyrus glanced around the room, waiting for one of the order to bring news.

“Sir,” A man nearly my opposite on the table stood up, “we have more than a dozen new reports of magic related incidents happening throughout the globe, I fear that our efforts to shield the mass public from magic will fail.”

“Promak’s bold moves only prove one thing. He is strong enough now. Do not relent, we will retaliate. Send word, we will not let up, we will meet them where every they are. We will destroy them at all costs.” Cyrus rose from his chair, “I need to take care of some business, I will see you Jayson soon, for now, Colton will aid you. I thank you all for coming, enjoy the rest of your night.”