"Don't tell me we are talking about Manik? Please." Pihu utters wrapping her shawl around her, as she starts moving towards the door.

"Unfortunately we are." Arjun utters.

"What's about him? I already know that he has Haphephobia. Is there anything else he is.." She gets interrupted.

"What if I say he doesn't have this phobia? What if I say there is more to the mystery than the eyes could see? What if I say you leaving Kurseong is going to do bad.. really bad things to his already complicated mind?" Every word Arjun utters increases her heart beat.

"What?! I.. I.... But I have to leave Arjun. I have my kids there, my office as well." Pihu utters, as she pushes open the main door to her house and steps out.

"I know. I know. We have to find a way out for this. Meet me at 7 PM in 'Delilah', okay?" He asks.

"Okay." She says as her eyes fall on the black car parked at the corner of the road. She knows this car pretty well, partly because she drove it yesterday. Her hand holding the cell phone freezes in the air, as her lips part in astonishment.

Hesitantly, her legs start moving. Arjun's voice keeps echoing through her mind,

"...What if I say you leaving Kurseong is going to do bad.. really bad things to his already complicated mind?"

She closes the gap between herself and the car. She places her hand on the glass window and wipes away the moisture covering it. There's moisture inside as well, but she can see the huge figure of the man in a black hoodie. His eyes closed, his arms crossed over his chest as he sits inclining his body against the driver's seat.

She knocks on the window and the hypnotizing grey eyes snap open in alertness. The very moment they meet hers, she sees them visible soften. Without wasting time he hurriedly opens the door and comes out of it with an instinct he has long forgotten. He wants her within his embrace, he wants to feel her warmth.

But before he could make any advance Pihu moves backwards, looking at him with guilt. And there, right there she witnesses the truth of Arjun's words. His right hand which was extended towards her forms a fist and within a millisecond it lands on the window, followed by an animalistic growl.

"Why won't you let me touch you?! Why?!" He yells and Pihu flinches. He gets ready to punch the already cracked window as another growl leaves his mouth but her voice, the desperation in it, stops him.

"Because, I don't want to hurt you. That's the only reason why I backed away Manik. I saw that day, I was there. I saw what it causes you to be touched by someone. How can I, knowing what it does to you, let it happen?" She utters barely controlling herself. He stands there with his back facing her.

"If I could touch you now, for once, I would be the happiest woman on this earth. But I can't. So, you have no right to be mad at me. Turn around and look at me." She says. But he stands still.

"I said, turn around and look at me, Manik. Right now." She says with a hint of warning in her tone and that does the work. He slowly, very slowly turns around as if still debating with himself.

"Now look at me." She says again. His grey eyes slowly meet her teary obsidian ones. His eyebrows furrow immediately.

"I..I am sorry." He says looking back at the ground. She removes the shawl from around herself and starts wrapping it around both of her hands. Then she slowly approaches him and her intoxicating fragrance fills his nostrils making his breath hitch. He snaps his head upwards and his breathing starts getting heavier the moment he feels the closeness of their bodies. There is barely some inches left to be bridged. She slowly raises her covered hands.

"May I?" She asks politely and like the greedy beast he is he moves his face towards her hand immediately and places it against her palm. The very moment the contact happens he inhales sharply. It feels weird to make out the shape of her hand but not getting to feel it entirely. It feels wrong. It feels like the insatiable hunger only grew with her attempt.

"I would've asked you to come in but knowing my parents they will start shooting you a million questions. So wait for me here, I'll just get ready and we can have breakfast together. Sounds good?" She asks.

"Hmm." He says keeping his eyes closed, relishing the new found feeling.

"That means, I am taking away my hand for now." She utters.

"No! A few more minutes." He commands making himself comfortable against her hands.

¤¤¤¤¤

"That's unfair!" Pihu utters drawing attention from the other customers inside the diner.

"No. That's you losing focus. The Boat was sitting here all this time ma'am." Vulcan says mischievously.

"Fine. What? You'll win...." Pihu starts talking when the waiter arrives with their orders. She saves the progress of the game and locks her phone.

"This isn't over!" She says putting the phone aside. Vulcan smiles at her antics. In all honesty, he would love losing every board if she is his opponent.

She sips at her coffee and takes a deep breath before beginning to say what she dreaded speaking about.

"Now, I have somethings to say, only if you promise to not freak out. Do you promise?" Pihu asks carefully. The mere question runs a chill down his spine.

"I don't believe in promises." He says looking everywhere but her.

"Manik." She tries to reason.

"I said what I had to. If you still need to then tell me already." He says grumpily.

She sighs, then places the cup aside and wraps her shawl around her hands once again. She slowly moves forward and holds his hands in her making him take a sharp inhale.

"Number one: I won't be able to meet you tonight, I have to meet another friend." He immediately snaps his head upwards tilting his head to the side.

"Another friend?! Who?" He asks furrowing his eyebrows.

"That's personal and extremely unimportant Manik. I have a lot of friends." Pihu utters suddenly feeling nervous. He pulls away his hand and utters,

"I see." Pihu feels a weird kind of pain seeing him acting like this. But she knew she can't give up now. She needs to meet Arjun.

"Number two: I'll meet you tomorrow morning, sharp at 10 O'clock.....um.... before I leave for Bangalore." That's it. That denotes the end of discussion and the end of sanity.

His grey eyes widen with shock as hers soften. She sees it that he can't believe his own ears. He keeps shaking his head, as if what he heard wasn't true.

"You're leaving? You.... you're...." He starts mumbling.

"Manik, listen to me. Please. We'll talk over phone calls, video calls.... we can find...." Pihu tries to communicate but gets interrupted by his abrupt standing.

"You're abandoning me. Just like the others did. You're leaving me. You..you...." He says fuming with rage.

"Manik don't do this. Don't hurt yourself like this. You're misunderstanding me." Pihu says but he starts moving out. She follows after him as he starts walking backwards to the exit. Vulcan runs out of the cafe. As he hears her calling after him. He hurries towards the car and gets inside. He turns his face and sees her coming out of the cafe panting. Tears trailing down her cheeks.

"No! Not that easy love. I won't let you leave me that easily." He whispers menacingly and drives away.

Pihu stands at the door of the cafe, feeling helpless and extremely guilty.

_________________________________________

If you like my story feel free to Vote, Comment, Follow and Share.

Love, Puja. 🤗