sixteen

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧
𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬

"FORM LINES!" SOMEONE ORDERS AS MARINES WALK THROUGH THE GATE OF THE VILLAGE. The crew turns around to face the new company and Sanji's arm falls from Eden's shoulders in the process. 

Zoro places his hand on the tsuka of his sword. "I'd rethink that if I were you," a man threatens. "So these are the Straw-Hat Pirates. Huh," Garp says as he steps forward. "Marines, arrest them," he orders.

"Sir, the Straw Hats didn't destroy Coco Village. It was Arlong," one of the cadets speaks up, "You have your orders, cadet," Garp says. 

"No," the boy says as he steps in front of Garp. "What did you say?" the old man questions, "I said no, sir."

"You do realize there are severe punishments for disobeying direct orders?" Garp asks, "I disagree with those orders, sir," the cadet tells him. Another cadet steps forward, "Me too," he says.

Garp sighs before letting out a chuckle. "Anyone else like to follow their lead?" he questions, "Or do you all want to follow orders instead?"

The rest of the cadets walk closer to the crew and point their rifles at them. Sanji pushes Eden behind him gently and she grabs ahold of his fingers. "Any of them move, make sure it's their last," Garp commands.

"Come here, boy."

Luffy steps away from his crew and walks closer to his grandfather. "I gave you every opportunity to follow my path, to become a respected Marine. But instead, you chose to become a pirate."

"No, Grandpa. I've always been a pirate," Luffy corrects him with a smile. A proud look washes over Eden's features at Luffy's words.

"No more running, boy. Last chance. Give it up," Garp says, "That's not really my thing," Luffy tells him. Garp throws his cape to the Marines behind him and shrugs his shoulders, "Then show me what you've got," he challenges.

With a yell, Luffy throws a punch in the man's direction. Garp moves his head- making Luffy miss before punching the boy in the stomach. 

Eden squeezes Sanji's fingers as she watches Luffy's back hit a porch. "This is what you wanted, right?" Garp questions. "To be a pirate. Well, I'll show you what Marines do to pirates," he says as he walks up to Luffy.

"I don't want to fight you, Grandpa."

"You've been fighting me your entire life," Garp exclaims before attacking, his fist missing Luffy by just an inch.

Eden looks away but her head immediately snaps back to the scene when Luffy gets thrown through a wall. The whole crew watches wide-eyed as Luffy gets up from the floor, "I thought I trained you better than this," Garp comments.

"You did."

Luffy's arms stretch out to two poles, "Gum Gum Rocket!" he yells before launching himself at Garp. 

The old man shoots out his arm- making Luffy fall to the floor in mid-air. "You don't know how dangerous the world is. The Grand Line isn't some child's game," Garp says before picking Luffy up from the floor by his shirt.

"I told you, you aren't ready."

"You can hit me all day long... but I'm never giving up on my dream."

"Is that so?" Garp asks, "I'm going to the Grand Line. And I will find the One Piece. And I will be... King of the Pirates," Luffy promises with a laugh.

Garp lets go of his grandson before bursting into laughter. "Have it your way. Lower your weapons!" Garp orders, Eden glances at Nami in confusion. 

"What are you all standing around for? Arlong's pirates are still on the loose. Hunt them down and arrest them," Garp commands, without a word the Marines turn on their heel and leave the village.

"What the fuck is going on?" Eden whispers to Sanji, "I have no idea," he whispers back. Nezumi walks forward, "What about these Straw Hats?" he asks. 

"What about them?" Garp questions, "Arrest them too! They are the real criminals," Nezumi says. Nami hits him in the back of the head with her stick- knocking him out cold. Eden smiles at her action.

Garp turns back to Luffy, "I knew I'd never be able to change your mind. You're stubborn. Just like me. But I know who you are, boy. I just needed to make sure you knew it too."

"You were testing me? Couldn't you have gone a little bit easier?" Luffy asks in disbelief, Garp raises his arms. "Where's the fun in that?" he questions before placing his hands on Luffy's shoulders.

"You're on your own now," he tells his grandson before turning around and walking away. "No. I'm not. I have my friends," Luffy says, looking at his crew.