xvii.

seventeen page 312

「 seventeen ✧ page 312 」

It was almost 12am. Where is he?

I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts. Why did I care where he was? Why was I worrying about Augustus?

And most importantly, why is this book still in my hand?

His words echoed in my brain from earlier. Bring that book.

Why was I listening to him?

I huffed, frustrated with myself before putting my book in my bag and rolling over in bed, turning out the light and pulling the covers to my chin. 

Only a minute later, I heard a card swipe and a small beep, quickly followed by the door slowly opening to the room.

Annoyed, I sat up in bed and turned on the light to meet a disheveled Augustus. He was stumbling to get his shoes off, mumbling something under his breath. And then he looked up and noticed me.

His mouth twisted into a smirk. "Emilia." He said my name as if he were tasting it. "Were you waiting for me?"

"You wish," I lied. "I was, in fact, already asleep. You woke me up."

"Right," he said, as if not believing me. He came closer to my bed, sliding off his jacket, leaving only a white T-Shirt underneath.

"What are you doing?" I hissed as he came up close to where I was propped up on my elbows on my bed. "You have your own bed, you know."

"Did you bring your book?" he asked instead, ignoring me and shuffling around the nightstand next to me.

But I got a whiff of his breath and scrunched up my nose. "Are you drunk?"

His grin was lazy. "What does it matter?"

"Go to bed," I sighed, tucking myself back in and laying on my side. "Drink water."

"I'm not a kid," he argued. "And I'm not drunk. I just had a few beers."

I was quiet, shutting my eyes tight and feeling like an idiot. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I heard him walk to the bathroom, hopefully to brush his teeth. Instead, the shower turned on, and I cursed myself for opting to stay awake and read my book while waiting for him to finish.

He came out ten minutes later with only a towel around his waist. His hair was black and wet, and he ruffled it with his hand as he walked over to his things. I suddenly hated my traitorous eyes for staying glued to the muscles flexing in his back as he grabbed clean clothes from his bag.

He turned around and caught my gaze, that annoying smirk still plastered to his face. "Not even bothering to hide your attraction anymore, huh, Laurent?"