The Past Year

(This is the Gamer episode, but Max doesn't get akumatized. Instead, a flashback for Ryder is shown.)

The students were playing Ultimate Mecha Strike III in the library. Adrien and Max play against each other while the others watch, Alya recording them.

Marinette walks in, a confused look on her face as she makes her way over to Alya.

"Come on, Max!" Kim cheers for his best friend.

"Use the kitty paw, Adrien!" Amber advises.

Marinette leans over to Alya, "What's going on?"

Alya waves her hand, shushing her.

"Try-outs for the Paris Ultimate Mecha Strike III Tournament! This school sends the two students with the highest scores!" Rose exclaims excitedly.

"Actually, the tryouts are for a partner to team up with Max in the Tournament." Kim says.

"Kim, don't get cocky now." Ryder teases.

"Why Max?" Marinette asks.

"Do you even pay attention to our classmates, Marinette?" Ryder asks her as he raises an eyebrow, "Out of everyone here, he's the gaming pro."

"'Cause he's unbeatable! He's a total rocksord! He's got the highest APM over anyone!" Kim adds.

"APM?" Marinette asks again.

Ryder facepalms, groaning, "And you say that you play video games. APM means actions per minute."

"This tournament is his whole life! He's been grinding all year to level up." Kim continues.

The group looks back to the screen to see Adrien's robot use a special attack on Max's robot, the former winning.

"Adrien is now in the lead." Miss Bustier announces.

"What happened, Max?" Kim asks as the students cheer.

Max looks disappointed for a moment as he pushes his glasses up before turning to Adrien with a smile, "Hmm. Awesome job. We're gonna make a killer combo." the two high five as everyone cheers again.

Marinette thinks to herself, an idea forming, "So let me get this straight. If someone manages to beat Max's score, they'll team up with Adrien at the tournament?" she smiles knowingly.

Alya gives her a look.

"No one can beat Max. Or rather Max and Adrien. It's a slam dunk. They're our school's dream team!" Kim gestures to the sky.

Before Alya can drag Marinette away, a familiar blonde gets to her first.

"I see what you're trying to do, Dupain-Cheng. You're not gonna team with Adrikins!"

"You can't stop me, Chloé! I can play with whoever I want!"

"This is Max's passion! Stick to your tacky looking designs, baker girl! If you even try to step in, I'll have Amby go."

"Amber?! Please, there's no way that a hussy like her can play video games."

"Did you seriously call my sister a hussy?! What is wrong with you?!" Chloé shrieks, catching everyone's attention.