Chapter 23

"So Temari and the others said that to you guys?" Sakura asked. Sasuke and Naruto had helped her downstairs after she had washed up and gotten a change of clothes. She was restless afterwards and asked if she could go downstairs.

"Yeah, it's like a flip switched in everyone who was sitting there." Naruto said as Sakura just looked down sad. "I should've known it'll be that way." She said.

"But it's not right Sakura-chan! None of this is your fault. They can't sit there and say things as if you asked for this." Naruto said as she looked over to him.

"I know." She said. She was snuggled up onto Sasuke, he was gently rubbing her hair, trying to soothe her and calm her. Her leg was laid out elevated on a few pillows. Sakura closed her eyes in content each time Sasuke stroked some of her hair. He did just help her wash it when she got in the tub. He helped her with a lot upstairs.

Itachi and Shizune had left to go get some food and warned that none of them leave or go outside. Which of course they won't.

Naruto's eyes softened at the sight of Sakura and Sasuke. They were truly meant for one another and there was no way in hell he could imagine either of them leaving one another.

"Yeah but Teme, he defended you, punched Neji right in the face!" Naruto said as Sakura looked up at Sasuke who averted his gaze from her.

"You did that?" She asked. There was a hint of teasing in her question and tone which he noticed immediately. "He had it coming." He said as Sakura chuckled a bit.

"Well I'm thankful you both defended me and came to look for me." Sakura said. "I'm used to cutting my losses so I can't cry anymore for anyone who doesn't give a damn about me." She said. "Not even Hinata was on your side Naruto?" She asked.

"She wasn't and I was shocked  when she didn't speak up. She let Neji control the entire situation, everyone did and they all were a complete bandwagon. Even I couldn't believe it."

"So where do you two stand now?" Sakura asked.

"I don't know.. I don't think I should be with someone who can't have a voice of their own, and I definitely can't be in a group of people who'd abandon a friend especially in their lowest." Naruto said as Sakura gave a soft smile.

"You're very noble Naruto, it admirable." She said.

"What am I chopped liver?" Sasuke asked looking down at her as she giggled. "No of course not, you're everything." She said reaching up with her hand moving a piece of hair from his face.

If the circumstances were different he would've leaned down and kissed her already.

"So what do you think they're going to do as far school anyway? Mr. Hatake's entire classroom is gone! Every classroom on that side of the school for that matter!" Naruto said.

"I'm sure they'll figure it out. A lot of people are still recovering as well as the school. It's only so much to be focused on at once." Sakura said.

Before she could close her eyes again at another stroke of her hair, they shot open as she looked up at Sasuke.

"What is it?" He asked looking at her.

"The gift, did it get trapped under everything?" She asked. The gift she had got him that night, it was something special specifically for him, and she'd be so hurt if it got caught in the chaos of that night.

"I have it." He said. "Apparently I never let go it." Sasuke said. "They found me with it clutched in my hand." He added as Sakura gave a relief sigh.