CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

Start from the beginning

A newly crafted golden pin of a hand, near identical to the one who had adorned Otto Hightower's chest for many years, was now pinned against the bodice of Rhaenys's black dress. Rhaenys sent her a small smirk, "Just as the crown suits you."

The Queen and Hand were announced as they entered the current council room, prompting the men to stop talking and turn their attention towards them. Many of them needed some time to accept that two women now held the most high-ranking positions in the Seven Kingdoms, but it didn't matter if they accepted it or not. The decision had been made. In Valyria's opinion, naming a woman Hand was a small step. Maybe it was a bit radical on her part, but at least she didn't announce she intended to change the line of succession or laws of inheritance in Westeros.

"News has arrived from Driftmark, Your Grace," Lord Bartimos announced. "Lord Corlys has successfully taken back the island without much of a struggle." He handed the scroll over to the Hand who held out her hand in question, wishing to read her husband's message.

"And Princess Rhaenyra?" Valyria asked, not knowing what she prayed for. Probably that Rhaenyra realised her mistake and surrendered.

"Rhaenyra escaped on Syrax," Rhaenys said, eyes remaining on the letter. "Alongside Jacaerys and Joffrey and their dragons."

"Escaped?" Valyria frowned. "Where?" Without allies to seek shelter with, Rhaenyra had very limited options.

"Corlys does not know," Rhaenys shook her head, handing the scroll over to Valyria to read. "Without any dragons in his possession, chasing after them would be impossible."

"As long as they remain in the skies," Valyria said, putting the letter down on the table. "Once they land, their location will be difficult to cloak." Turning back to Lord Bartimos she questioned, "Any news from Harrenhal?"

"Not yet, but news should reach us soon," Lord Bartimos said. "By our estimations, Harrenhal should be under the prince's command by nightfall."

"With Harrenhal under your command and Driftmark back in Lord Corlys's control, we should turn our eyes to King's Landing, Your Grace" Lord Staunton stated.

"Indeed," Valyria nodded. "When my husband returns from Harrenhal, we shall take King's Landing next and put an end to this miserable attempt of the Hightowers to siege my throne."

.•° ✿ °•.

It turned out Daemon's confidence wasn't unwarranted. The elderly Ser Simon Strong, in his position as castellan of Harrenhal, decided to strike his banners and surrender to the Rogue Prince without putting up any fight. All it took was Daemon flying Caraxes to the top of Kingspyre Tower, where Harren the Black died, and the old man recalled the burning of Harrenhal by the Conqueror and Balerion the Black Dread – a deed that extinguished House Hoare.

A battle won without any bloodshed – much like Daemon promised her – and Ser Simon alongside his grandsons and a dozen others were taken as hostages. Since Lord Larys likely wouldn't survive the upcoming days, they'd have to decide on the succession of Harrenhal once all of this was over. Mayhaps those ruins were truly cursed – and not only because it had become a white elephant.

House Hoare built a castle they believed to be an impregnable fortress but it could not account for House Targaryen and their dragons that roasted Harren the Black and his entire line while simultaneously turning the castle into a charred and melted ruin of its former self. After that, many spoke about how Harrenhal was haunted and cursed due to Harren's hubris – a curse that prevented anyone from holding it indefinitely.

House Qoherys was granted the great keep by Aegon I. Quenton Qoherys had been the master-at-arms at Dragonstone and the new King of the Seven Kingdoms wished to award him for his service. But their rule did not last long because the entire line died out when Gargon Qoherys was slain during the rebellion of Harren the Red.