CHAPTER THREE

THE TALKS OF MARRIAGE AND DRAGON EGGS
✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

THE TALKS OF MARRIAGE AND DRAGON EGGS✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

113 AC, King's Landing

Six moons had passed since the death of Queen Aemma, Daemon's departure from the Red Keep and Rhaenyra being named Princess of Dragonstone, and nothing felt the same. Without Aemma's presence, the Red Keep seemed to have lost some of its warmth and light. Viserys was still grieving his beloved wife and it showed. Long gone was the happy King who enjoyed festivities.

Valyria had also found that the absence of Daemon had made everything just a bit more dull. There was not a person in the Seven Kingdoms, Essos, the Lands of Always Winter or anywhere else in the unexplored parts of the world that vexed her more than him. But while she sometimes considered throttling him, she found herself missing his annoying presence. No one else could banter with her the way he did. No one could challenge her.

"Ser Ryam was a strong Lord Commander of the Kingsguard," Viserys said to the Small Council as they sat gathered. Since the passing of Aemma, Valyria had been the one to perform the Queen's duties since Rhaenyra still was rather young and since Viserys still valued her advice, Valyria had been allowed a place in the Small Council. She did not have an official position, but Valyria was present during the meetings and sometimes she was actually allowed to have an input.

"But he was ill for some time," Viserys continued as Rhaenyra poured him a cup of wine. As the Princess of Dragonstone and heir to the Seven Kingdoms, her position as the King's cupbearer had also become an opportunity to observe what one day would be her duties. "He passed in peace, I hope."

"Yes, Your Grace," Mellos said. "He was found to have passed gently in his sleep. His remains are being prepared by the Silent Sisters. The succeeding Lord Commander, Ser Harrold, would like to make haste finding Ser Ryam's replacement on the Kingsguard."

"Your Grace, My Lords, Your Highness," Ser Harrold said. "The Kingsguard must soon be restored to its full complement of seven. With the help of the Hand, I have invited a number of fine candidates to court. All have passed fair trials."

The doors to the Small Council chamber flew open and Lord Corlys strode in, "Four ships have now been lost!" he announced with clear irritation at everyone else's lack of interest - and more important, action - in the Stepstones. "The last one was flying my banner. The Stepstones have now grown into a conflagration, yet you still dither about court business."

"If you have something to discuss, Lord Corlys-" Otto Hightower tried to say.

But Lord Corlys ignored him completely and only focused on the King as he continued, "I want to know what is to be done about my ships and my men."