Ch.27 - Emptiness

Start from the beginning

He was actually there. Like, standing right before her eyes. He was right there in front of her. He hadn't changed a bit. He still had the attractive, yet horribly pleading eyes he had always worn.

He stepped in front of her and kneeled down, getting closer to her hunched gaze.

He smiled. "Did I ever tell you how beautiful you are?"

She blushed furiously, getting caught wildly off-guard by his comment.

"Uh- what?!" She wrapped her tattered cloak further around her form. 'Uh, no. I mean, you- um... no."

Y/N smiled silently at her embarrassing misstep. Years had passed, and she'd endured quite a beating. She was in her mid-30s, but natural beauty never fades. She was still a bashful, beautiful young lady at heart.

"Aw, really? No? That's a shame." Y/N absent-mindedly, before standing to his feet.

He cocked his head to the side as he stared at her for a little while longer.

"Hey, by the way," he began, "How come you look... younger than the others?"

'He's just going to brush over that?!?!?'

"The others?" She looked up at him.

"Beast Boy and Cyborg looked like they were pushing 50. You... barely look a day over 30."

"It's a long story. But when nature took its course and the Prophecy unfolded, I was.. Rebirthed, as a blank slate. I was a 16-year-old girl in the body of a 4-year-old. I had nobody to go to. I was all on my own." Raven tried to keep it together as memories from that day began to creep up on her.

"Man..." He sighed. "I can only imagine what you must've gone through being so young, surrounded by these monsters. Well, Y/N's here now I guess." He seemed uncharacteristically calm.

The calm man rose to his feet, as Raven awkwardly stood in the cage.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I say we get you outta here." He said casually.

Raven screamed internally.

"Let me out? How? It's indestructible. I'm useless the way I am," the grey woman sobbed.

"Oh don't worry, I have an idea." He winked. "But first, why don't we get you out of that old cloak? You probably haven't changed since-"

"No!" She snapped.

"Uh... I'm sorry?"

"I'm not... wearing anything underneath." She squeaked. She gazed at the floor in embarrassment, assuring that the shredded fabric didn't reveal anything too explicit.

"Oh..." He dropped the relaxed cadence as he very slightly widened his eyes. "I mean, I can... turn around if you want."

"No, it's fine. I doubt any of my clothes have survived in here anyway. They probably don't fit me anymore." She said.

"I can see that," Y/N smirked. "Anyway, as I was saying, I have an idea. It ain't much, but it's honest work."

He turned around and walked to the other side of the room.

"Close your eyes."

"What's your plan?"

"Close your eyes, Raven. And turn around."

She did as she was ordered, albeit reluctantly. Over the years, she had grown accustomed to doing so.

She attempted to hear what was going on behind her, but the blood clogged in her ears made it extremely difficult.