part eight

"Okay, I wanna run through it one more time

       "Okay, I wanna run through it one more time." Nancy spoke after we parked the RV.

"We meet Erica at the playground. She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready."

"Phase two."

"Max beats Vecna. He'll go after her, which'll put him in his trance."

"Phase three?"

"Me, Cassie and Eddie draw the bats away."

"Four."

"We head into Vecna's hopefully newly bat-free lair, and... flambé." Robin shook the bottle of alcohol.

"Nobody moves onto the next phase until we've all copied. Nobody deviates from the plan, no matter what. Got it?"

"Got it." We all answered in response, piling out of the RV and making our way to Eddie's trailer.

"Here goes nothing." Steve grabbed the sheet, climbing into the Upside Down and pulling out the mattress so we can all land safely. Next went Nancy, then the weapons, then me, then Eddie, Robin, and Dustin.
We walked out of the trailer and I sighed, hating the feeling of being here.

"Hey, guys, listen." Steve turned to Eddie, Dustin and I. "If things here start to go South, I mean at all," He looked at me. "you abort. Okay? Draw the attention of the bats, keep them busy for a minute or two, we'll take care of Vecna. Don't try to be cute or be a hero or something. Okay? You guys are just-"

"Decoys." Dustin answered for him. "Don't worry, you can be the hero, Steve."

"Absolutely, I mean, look at us. We are not heroes."

"Ouch." I shoved Eddie.

"Well, maybe you. But not today, babe." He wrapped his arm around me. Steve started to walk away before Eddie called for him. "Make him pay."

"And be careful." I went in for another hug, making sure to hug him as tightly as I could.

"Remember what I said? Don't be a hero." He whispered to me before pulling out of the hug and walking away with Nancy and Robin.

"Okay, we got this. This is just one of your lame ass games but in real life. Piece of cake." I shrugged as we walked over to his RV and started covering the windows with parts of a gate.

"Jesus." We walked into Eddie's RV and he walked towards his guitar. "It's like she was destined for an alternate dimension. Cass, babe, looks like you'll finally get to see me shred on the guitar." I clapped with a smile on my face. We moved outside and stood on the roof of Eddie's trailer, waiting for our signal.

"She's in." We heard Robin's voice over the walkie. "Move onto phase three."

"Copy that, initiating phase three." I plugged in the amps and turned them all the way up.