part four

"Cass?" Dustin shoved my shoulder

        "Cass?" Dustin shoved my shoulder. "Cassie, are you okay?"

"Huh? Yea, sorry."

"Shit, don't do that." Steve sighed, sinking into his seat.

"Sorry. Just dozed off, I guess." I copied Steve and sank into my seat as well.

What does this mean? Am I cursed by Vecna? Am I gonna die?

"Alright, it's been long enough." Steve got out of the car, starting toward her.

"Steve, just give her some time." Lucas spoke from the hood of Steve's car.

"I have, alright Sinclair? I'm calling it. She wants to get a lawyer, she can." I followed Steve to make sure Max was okay. "Max, time to giddy up, yea?"

"Max?" I crouched in front of her and gasped. "Steve, her eyes." Her eyes were rolling into the back of her head.

"Max, wake up!"

"Max! Can you hear me? Max!" I lightly slapped her face.

Lucas and Dustin ran over to us. "Max, you gotta get out of there! Can you hear me?"

Steve grabbed Dustin by the collar. "Call Nancy and Robin! Go get 'em! Call Nancy and Robin! Go!"

Dustin ran to the car while we tried to wake Max up. He ran back to us a minute later with a walkman, cassettes, and headphones. "Her song, what's her favorite song?"

"Why? Why?"

"Robin said if she listens... it's too much to explain right now. What's her favorite song?" Dustin yelled.

"Kate Bush!" I exclaimed. "Try Kate Bush. She had that one song on repeat the other day."

"Very helpful, Cass. Which Kate Bush song?" He yelled again.

"I don't know! Something about running up a hill!" We looked through the tapes until Steve finally found it. "Put it in the damn Walkman!"

"Okay, now!" Dustin placed the headphones on her head and Steve pressed play.

"Max, wake up!"

"C'mon, Max! Please, we need you!" She started lifting into the air, her body looking limp.

"Max!" Was all I could say. "Please! You've gotta fight this thing!"

"Max! Come back to us!"

Suddenly she dropped to the ground and regained consciousness. "Max!" Lucas hugged her and she latched onto him. "I thought we lost you."

"I'm still here." She panted as we all hugged her.

We made our way back to Mike's house and into his basement where Nancy and Robin were. "Oh, hey Nance. Goodnight." I fell face first onto the couch and instantly fell asleep.