part twenty two

that night madilyn couldn't sleep, and she found herself sitting outside against a tree with her knees tucked to her chest, watching the water move.

the girl was startled at the sound of movement beside her. she snapped her head around to where the movement came from to see jj making his way towards her.

"can't sleep?" the blonde said as he sat down next to her.

"gosh you scared me" madi exhaled deeply.

"sorry."

madi glanced at the blonde for a moment. her eyes caught his, which she could barely see because of the dark, before reminding herself to pull her gaze away from him.

"i thought i told you to stay away from me" the brunette girl said coldly.

jj chuckled, "technically," he inhaled, "you said stay out of your room"

madi rolled her eyes. "gosh, whatever jj." the brunette scoffed. she stood up and began walk away when the boy reached up and grabbed her wrist.

"wait wait!" he said, "im sorry, i just wanted to talk."

madi turned around to face the blonde who was now standing up next to her about a foot away from her face.

"i just–" he began before inhaling and exhaling a few times.

"yes? spit it out" the girl nagged.

"im sorry." jj exhaled, smiling at himself after he said it.

"sure you are" madilyn said before turning to walk away again, jj once more grabbing her wrist.

"no, madi, seriously. that was a really dumb thing to say. i wasn't thinking and- and it just kinda.. came out." he stuttered, looking at her with pleading eyes.

"you led me on, jj. you, you KISSED kiara" the brunette girl exclaimed in disbelief.

"i-"

"no, im talking," she said. "you're always all flirty with me and shit, and then you kiss kiara behind my back?"

"i know, i know. the truth is, i wasn't leading you on, i-" jj tried to reason.

madi threw her hands in the air, "yes you literally were!" she shrieked.

"no i wasn't!!"

"then what the hell was all that? hmm?"

"i love you, okay?!" the blonde blurted.

"you- you love me?? then whyd you kiss kiara??!" madi immediately stopped talking.

"yes, madilyn! i don't know how to explain it, but whenever im with you its like my problems are gone, like they never existed. and i get this weird, happy, light feeling inside. something no high could ever give me. you, you listen to me when i have no clue what im saying, when im rambling, kinda like what's happening right now." he pauses for a breath.

"and you're gorgeous. you're body is perfect and your hair, it always falls perfectly and your eyes, madi i could get lost in your eyes forever. you're everything i want, strong, fun, loving. and i guess i panicked because, im not used to it. to being loved. so i froze.

i didn't know what to do and i was embarrassed. i reacted the only way i was taught to, but that was stupid and im sorry. im really, really sorry. i really do like you, i love you in fact. i know how much that hurt you and i can't imagine the pain that you felt all day, and knowing i brought that on you makes me so upset with myself and i-"

madi couldnt control the grin on her face as she listened to everything he said, and how genuine it sounded.

she started to giggle at the rambling boy. "jj!" she laughed, putting her hands over his mouth to shush him.

"mmm?" the boy mumbled.

"i forgive you." she laughed, removing her hand from his mouth.

"you, you do?"

"yes!" madi laughed, placing her hands on the blonde's chest, "take a breath."

jj inhaled slowly and then exhaled, a small smile forming on his lips. "im sorry." he said genuinely.

"i know. thank you" the brunette took her hands off of jj's chest and reached for his hands. she felt incredibly special, especially since jj didn't break his tough guy act for anyone. she barely ever saw him scared, even when held at gunpoint.

they locked eyes for a moment before madilyn reached for the blonde's jaw. she brought her face towards his until their lips connected. jj rested his hands on the girl's waist, pulling her close to him.

once the two pulled away, madi rested her head in the crook of the boy's neck. she started to doze off until she was startled awake by his voice.

"why don't we go to sleep?" he asked.

madi only hummed in response, lifting her head and blinking her eyes to get them to focus.

jj placed his hands on either of the girl's arms from behind. he led her inside and all the way to her room.

once jj got madilyn in her bed and asleep, he let his gaze fall on her silhouette. a smile formed on his face before turning around to head back to the couch.

the next morning, sarah and madi woke up around the same time. "morning" the blonde said groggily.

"i kissed jj last night" madi said, a wide grin spread across her face; as the memories from last night slowly came back to her.

"you what?!" sarah shot up.

the brunette mimicked her actions with a chuckle.

"i thought he was being a dick?" sarah questioned.

"he was," madi responded, "but he apologized."

"when?" the blonde asked.

"last night. in like the middle of the night," she explained, "i was sitting outside and he followed me and gave me this long ass apology speech. it was kinda cute," she continued," and then, we kissed" she exhaled with a smile.

"awe, so are you guys like a thing now?"

"im not sure. im still taking it kinda slow if that makes sense" she explained.

"no, no i get it" sarah confirmed.

after their conversation they made their way out to the rest of the pogues.
as madilyn entered the living room, jj's eyes immediately locked with hers.

"y'all kissed?" john b blurted, averting the girl's gaze from the blonde.

"here we go" madi sighed. "yeah, we did" a smile formed on her lips.

"damn jj you're on a roll" john b laughed before taking a sip of the beer in his hand.

kiara got up from her seat on the couch and walked over to the brunette girl, "im sorry madi. i shouldn't have kissed him, especially when i knew you two had something going."

madilyn smiled at kiara's genuineness. "i forgive you, thank you kiara"

"call me kie" she smiled.