part thirteen

madilyn and sarah soon found themselves back at the cameron household since the pogues were on another top secret mission involving the gold.

the two girls were sitting in the sunroom when madi got up for a drink.

"want anything?" the brunette asked her best friend, to which she shook her head no.

soon after madilyn left, the back door opened and in stepped the dirty blonde who had nearly killed her brother the night before.

sarah's head shot up at topper, her eyes narrowing.

"hey how's john b? is he doing all right?" the boy stumbled.

"like you give a shit." sarah gritted.

"you realize i didn't push him, okay?"

"don't lie to me. that is messed up." the blonde scoffed.

at that moment madi walked back into the sunroom holding a glass of water. once her eyes met topper's, she slammed her cup down on the table before storming over to topper.

"you have some nerve coming here" the brunette said as her hands collided with the boy's chest and she shoved him backwards.

"woah i just wanted to talk!!" topper reasoned. madilyn seethed at his comment, getting ready to push him again before sarah sprung up to hold her back.

"you need to leave topper." the blonde said to him.

"sarah midsummers was supposed to be special! it was supposed to be-"

"do you not realize you almost killed her brother?!" sarah shouted, motioning towards the angry brunette in front of the door.

"did you forget that you cheated on me?" topper reminded her.

the truth was, sarah did forget. so much had happened in the last 24 hours that the fact that she kissed the pogue had completely slipped her mind.

"you're a slut sarah!" the dirty blonde yelled in her face.

madi took a step back, ready to lunge at the boy when sarah's dad came booming into the room.

"watch your mouth when you talk about my daughter!!" ward screamed in the boy's face.

"your daughter kissed a pogue and-" topper was cut off by ward wrapping his hands around his throat, lifting him off the ground and walking towards the door.

sarah gasped and stumbled backwards against madilyn.

ward gritted at the kook in his hands. "you need to go home topper." he said angrily before harshly setting the boy down and slamming the door in his face.

"you girls okay?" he turned around to face the two of them after an awkward few moments of silence.

madilyn nodded, "thank you."

"you're telling me you found the gold??" madilyn asked her brother with wide eyes.

"yes!" john b said for like the millionth time.

"where again??"

"at the crain house, mads" the boy sighed.

"like mrs crain? like the axe murderer?"

"oh m- yes like the axe murderer" he said.

"so does that m-"

"do you ever shut up?" john b blurted. he watched as his sister's face dropped.

tears filled madi's eyes as she kept her focus glued on the passing trees and signs out the window.

"okay, well someone has to explain it because this is all new to her and it's a lot to process! hell i still can't even wrap my mind around it! we all just threw her into it and someone has to break it down so if you won't then i will!" jj shouted from the driver seat.

madi blinked back the tears from her eyes and looked over at jj with a grateful expression.

"fine." john b sighed. he inhaled before explaining the situation to his sister.

"any questions?" the brunette boy asked after his last sentence.

madi shook her head before turning to jj with a smile. 'thank you' she mouthed.

the blonde winked at her as a smile grew on his face.

"you got rope?" john b asked.

"got it." pope replied.

"grappling hook?"

pope chuckled, "we don't need a grappling hook, were not batman" the boy said.

jj pulled the twinkie onto the side of the road in front of a stone wall as john b finished listing off the checklist.

"pulley?"

"check." kiara said.

"dark clothes?"

"got it!" sarah confirmed as she picked a piece of fuzz off of her hoodie sleeve.

"flashlights?"

"check." jj clicked his light on and off.

"all right, were good" john b folded the piece of paper and put it in the seat pocket.

"let's go get rich guys" jj said as he exited the van. the rest of the pogues piled out and took turns hoisting themselves over the wall.

the six teens made their way through the vines and branches of what used to be the driveway.

everything was going smooth until about 20 feet before the house when the motion sensor lights were set off.

"shit" jj muttered while they all tripped over eachother.

they hurriedly all shut their lights off. "what if we just went really slow?" jj asked, receiving strange looks from the group.

"thats not how that works jay" madilyn giggled.

"we could throw a rock at it?" john b suggested, making kiara scoff.

"let the axe murderer know were here. great going genius" the girl said sarcastically.

"what about the breaker? it's in the circuit box on the porch" madi suggested.

"that could actually work" pope realized.

"how do you kn-" john b began.

"i played hide and seek with sarah and rafe here when we were kids, and the first to get found would have to go all the way to the porch. ive seen it" the girl answered.

"im not letting you go in alone" her brother stated.

"i second that" jj raised his hand.

madi pouted at the boys and sighed, turning to her best friend with a pleading look.

"ill go" the blonde girl shrugged.

"me too" kiara smiled.

the three of them smirked at john b, and he finally gave in.

"we'll wait for your signal" pope fist bumped kiara.

the girl's stood up and began to walk away when jj grabbed the brunettes hand. "be safe please" he gave her a warm smile.

"roger that" madi winked at the blonde although he couldn't see it since it was dark.