19. Meeting Tauryn

No one had ever seen what His Highness Prince Tauryn looked like.

The Feys were, by nature, tight-lipped and extremely secretive, even to their own kind.

As we walked along the corridor, I couldn't help but feel like I was being swallowed by the never-ending doors and rooms. Maybe it was an illusion, but we had been walking in a straight line, and there was just no way the second level of Slieveaglen was this big.

Meeting Tauryn might seem like a good manner, but who knew what Atlas had in mind - the fact that his entire troupe was here, when he alone was sufficient, and that Atlas aside, everyone, including those poor victims, God bless their souls, was young.

I might be paranoid, but it was good to stay alert. Father Alfred used to tell me stories of how the Clans' kins were the most vicious, most terrifying creatures I'd ever come across, but truly, a human's heart was as deep as the ocean's floor and behind the weak, victimised facade, was a mind that could rival the brutality of the Clans. Just like Father Alfred.

I took a glance at Atlas before entering the door as the Court Lady instructed.

Rowena sucked in a deep breath as we stood, admiring the tall ceiling, the way the trees coiled to construct an exquisite roof, and how the room, somehow still, received sunlight even though it was located deep inside the Slieveaglen's pyramid-like structure.

"Your Highness," Atlas was the first to greet him, and we slowly spread out, standing side-by-side, copying his greeting and bowing down as low as possible.

All I could see was the bottom of Tauryn's feet, the gold-coloured shoes that seemed too finely crafted, too close to perfection to come from a flawed human hand.

"Rise," His voice was light like a breeze.

I straightened my back and for the first time ever, gazed at the infamous Seelie Prince whose reputation somehow preceded other Royal Children from both Courts.

Tauryn had warm chocolate hair that fell just right before his shoulder, and amber-coloured eyes that seemed to glitter when the sunlight hit the right place. He also smelt of nostalgic floral scent, spring breeze, and whatever good childhood memories I had.

I froze on my spot, not at all expecting the man who gave Madame Loretta so much trouble to be so... radiant. Like the last glimpse of sun before the night seized in - last but a second, only to be remembered fondly.

"Your Highness, I brought the members of my troupe to extend our most sincere gratitude for your invite," Atlas' eyes shone with adoration, and for a while, he opened and closed his mouth in vain attempts to add something a little more... substantial.

"What are their names?" Again, with the voice that made it impossible to resist his allure.

No. My fingers dug into my palm in distress. Nevertheless, I must keep my silence and not draw unnecessary attention. Names were binding. Names gave one power over you. Atlas ought to know.