Chapter 36: Assault on the Nemesis

Never in Verdant's life would she have admitted that a battlefield felt like somewhere to crack a joke or smile to your teammate. The battlefield was a place where cries of pain and anguish floated into the air like a heavy blanket of misfortune. On the battlefield, one should feel afraid, but determined, and keep in mind that their sparks could be extinguished at any moment.

Being with Team Prime didn't feel like that.

Agent Fowler had sent them across the Atlantic on four planes, and they'd landed on a base on the border of Guyana and Brazil. From there, he sent them off on high-power ships under the bright moonlit sky.

Perhaps it wasn't her place to join them, considering her lack of expertise in combat, but she was still plenty useful. That's why Verdant was currently watching the water waved away from their boat as they approached the most dangerous mission since landing on Earth. Attacking the Decepticon warship with the full intent of taking on every bot in that ship and destroying them, or capturing them.

This is what brought her attention to the feeling in her spark as they approached something that should have felt scary and nerve-wracking. But with Wheeljack sitting next to her, flashing a massive grin as he joked with Bulkhead, and Ultra Magnus having a decent conversation with Smokescreen, Verdant felt almost... calm.

Like everything was going to turn out right.

That's the last optimistic thought for this chapter.

Their ship was blown up.

Verdant yelped, shooting to her pedes as an explosion soundsd below them and the ship began to tilt. Optimus was right to have ordered Agent Fowler to not allow them a human entourage.

"We've been detected," Captain Obvious Optimus pointed out. "Does everyone remember the plan?"

Everyone sounded out various phrases of affirmation.

Verdant looked down at the water as Ultra Magnus and the wreckers crowded around her.

"Is everyone ready?" the commander questioned.

Wheeljack grinned, unsheathed his swords, and jumped pede-first into the ocean.

"I'll take that as a 'yes'," he muttered before following suit, Bulkhead and Verdant at his side.

The four of them sank into the dense darkness and waited until their pedes touched the ground.

Verdant noticed at everyone else was sinking faster than her, and scowled before transforming, spinning her alt. mode just to keep up.

It wasn't long before the Nemesis came into view, and the wreckers caught sight of countless vehicons standing around the fallen ship, their blasters aimed up and firing at another group of sinking Autobofs.

Luckily, Optimus's team was doing well, especially with the aid of a machine gun tearing through the ranks of the clones. Verdant winced as she imagined those kind vehicons who she manipulated and betrayed during her time on the Nemesis.

The distraction was more than enough for the wreckers to step into the Nemesis, through an air chamber, dripping wet and mostly unnoticed. Verdant began looping the cameras again, and she took up the rear, frequently checking behind them. If Soundwave knew she had access to their system, he could be playing the same games she was playing.

The cameras were unreliable, both for her and him.

It seemed the Decepticons had managed to keep the interior of their ship dry, for the most part, but Verdant could tell from their logs that some parts had been flooded and quarantined, especially closer to the backside of the ship.