When I rouse I'm drenched in sweat and panting with a solid hand over my mouth.

"You're going to wake up the whole house Cortez!" Jayden whisper shouts. My eyes scan the room in panic and disorientation before realizing where I was and that it was all just a horrible dream.

"Did you have a nightmare?" I nod in relief that that's all it was, shoving strands of stray curly hair out of my face trembling and breathing heavily as he drops his hand and goes back to his previous position on the floor.

"I don't think I can go back to sleep." I whisper my voice sounding hoarse.

"Oh god."

The sound of Jayden shifting on the air mattress fills the room and eventually I feel the dip of the bed that forces me to scoot over anticipating his imminent presence.

"Lay down." He encourages.
"I-I can't—"

Jayden sighs in what appeared to be an attempt to remain patient and understanding of my situation before he reaches for my arm sending shocks through my entire body and pulls me down to lay with him.

My torso instinctively moved closer to him in a desperate search of warmth that would quell my tremors but I went stiff at the recognition of my desire for his staggeringly comfortable proximity.

Jayden had probably been in this exact position with hundreds of other girls and I  feared what his interpretation of the situation would be.

"Jay, this isn't—"
"Just go to sleep." He cuts me off in reassurance evidently sensing my bubbling anxiety.

I suppose if he had insulting intentions he would be trying to keep me awake or coaxing me to do something I don't want to. But he wasn't, his only pressing concerned seemed to be my well-being, and it was honestly a side of him I never expected. A large part of me wondered why he had the reputation of an emotionless serial player and what exactly I had done to earn a glance beyond the facade.

With growing exhaustion, my face lethargically falls upon his shoulder with ladened eyes and I focus on the faint sound of his pulse to find some semblance of peaceful slumber.

When I come to again the sun is beaming through the sides of his curtain covered window and there's a vague sound of chaos growing downstairs.

I roll my neck and stretch my limbs out feeling the physical exertion of my actions yesterday. Everything in me screamed to lay back down and allow my body more recuperation time but I knew Jayden's absence meant I was nearing tardiness.

With painful swiftness, I climb out of the messy covers and grab the bag placed on his desk to ready myself.

Once I'm done I head to the bathroom to take care of my hygiene secretly grateful for the fact that I had the entire upstairs area to myself to prepare without interruption or the pressure of conversation.

There was intermittent laughter and shouting that rung through the house which felt grossly unfamiliar in comparison to my cold household wherein there wasn't even an effort to greet each other in the morning.

I awkwardly make my way down the stairs nervously contemplating how I would naturally integrate with the group. Kaylee is the first to come into my view line and I observe her eating breakfast loudly while making effortless conversation with Camila and Diego.

As I approach the final steps, the three turn their attention to me in welcome which alerts the mother and son, who seemed to be discussing something important in the kitchen, to my presence.

Diego beckons me over and motions towards the food on the table in encouragement as Jayden takes a seat in one of the empty chairs and Lilith comes behind me placing her hands upon my shoulders in a deliberate manner.