Chapter Twenty Eight: Reunited

Start from the beginning

"Pretend?!" She pointed at him accusingly, "Now's not the time, Malfoy." Hermione squinted, her warm brown eyes narrowing with disbelief, "Are you intoxicated? I need you to tell Ominis not to beat the living shit out of Harry!"

"Ominis don't beat the living shit out of Harry." He repeated without hesitation, then smiled. "Can I go now?"

"No!" Potter and Hermione shouted together.

Draco slid his eyes over to his close friend, seeing all the signs of irrefutable anger. The air around him was crackling with pent up magic as his intention and focus was on killing the wizard. A few of the sparks crackled in front of Hermione, causing her to flinch which sobered him up.

"Ominis. Not in front of Hermione." Draco's voice was steady and deathly calm. He cared about him like a brother, but he'd burn the world just as he would for the woman he loved.

Hearing the severity of his voice, Ominis' tone was dark. "Where is she?"

"I'll take you there." McGonagall offered, gesturing for her to follow him.

He watched as the blind wizard followed the prior Professor with ease. Potter sagged his shoulders, relaxing for the first time in Salazar knows how long. He thought he was in the clear until his little witch strolled up to him with fire in her eyes.

"You lasted ten minutes?!"

Draco smirked, resting his hand on her hip. "You know quite intimately I last much longer than that."

Potter pretended to vomit in the background, "I change my mind. The High Reeve can kill me."

"Settled then." Draco said with mock cheeriness, "I'll go inform him."

"No, No... No need to do that." Potter mumbled before glancing at Hermione worriedly, "Do you think he's going to go after Ron?"

Draco answered before Hermione could interject, "Is that really a question? Are you that naive? There is no outcome where Weasley isn't dead. Best to ask the Weasleys if they've got an extra casket since they dumped Percy and Fred into the ground. I hear there's a two for one sale at Borgin and Burkes."

"Remind me again why I'm supposed to be alright with you dating this arse?" Potter inquired, causing a fire to start in his chest.

As if I need your bloody permission, Draco was about to growl out when Hermione put a hand on his chest.

"He's an arsehole, but he's my arsehole." She replied blithely, "And the only reason why Ominis didn't kill you before going to find Rosie."

He ran a hand through his hair, "You would have been able to save me."

The brunette spun on him, "Now you sound like Ron!" Draco raised an eyebrow, but didn't comment as the witch grabbed his hand, "Let's go check up on Ominis and Rosie. Make sure he hasn't blown up the infirmary."

"What a shame that'd be." Draco drawled sarcastically, smirking at the glower sent his way.

There wasn't enough alcohol in his system to deal with the sorrow and fear spreading through Ominis like poison. If the roles were reversed and it was Hermione in that bed, Draco wasn't sure if he'd have stopped himself from killing everyone involved.

While it may have seemed extreme to people who don't kill on the regular, Ominis and him often killed people for annoying lesser reasons. He didn't value life much until Hermione became so important to him. Same with Ominis and by collateral, Rosemary as well. He hoped to see more of his dark brunette friend putting Ominis in his place.