005: I ALWAYS COME BACK

I don't have any reasonsi've left them all behindi'm in a New York state of mind

i've left them all behind
i'm in a New York state of mind

New York State of Mind

Billy Joel

Abby had woken up a couple hours after everyone had went to sleep to get ready for school. Mike got her ready, and made breakfast. Somehow Juliet remained asleep through all of the morning commotion.

Juliet had been thinking all night about everything that had happened. At first, putting on mikes clothes gave her butterflies, but soon the fabric against her skin began to make her sick. She was doing it again.

Getting too attached, too quickly.

"Jules.."
Mike knocked quietly before opening the door.

She was a disheveled mess. Her once perfect eye makeup was now smudged and her hair was all over the place.

Still, she was pretty.

"I brought you some breakfast. i'll just leave it here"
Mike said, trying to sound nonchalant. Juliet rolled over to her side as mike walked back to the door.

"Why are you being so nice to me?"
Juliet said, her voice almost sounded accusatory.

It's was silent for a moment.

"Why shouldn't I be? You've always been good to me, and you take care of Abby."

His words fell on deaf ears.

"Mike, I don't know who you think I am, but it's probably not right. I don't want you being let down because of a version of me you made in your head."

She sat up.

"it's just- you don't really know me, you know?"
she added on at the end. She didn't mean to be harsh, but it kinda came off that way.

Mike looked at her with soft, brown eyes.
"I still wanna try"
he left the room.

She wanted to throw up.

She changed back into her other clothes, and left mike's folded neatly on the bed. She got all of her stuff together, and left without so much as a word to mike. She should have thanked him, but she was conflicted about everything.

She drove home.

She had driven the road back to her house a hundred times. There was one road that cut through the whole town, connecting it to the cities outside. She could drive this road half asleep and somehow make it to her appointment unscathed every single time.