7. i know what you did that summer

Start from the beginning

Kayce huffed once, but he couldn't blame her. So he nodded, heading for the main house in continued silence. The sound of the door closing made Spencer's shoulders fall in relief as she sagged against the sturdiness of Rip behind her.

"So what did I miss?" Sawyer asked the group, earning looks and awkward coughs from everyone.

Ryan looked expectantly at Spencer, who only chuckled. "Half of our problems were from you, fuckhead, so you can explain your way out of that one."

One of Sawyer's eyebrows cocked up in question at Ryan, his expression blanching as an uncomfortable grin sank onto his face. Sawyer gripped his arm, pulling him away like a child scorned to the hoots and hollers of the wranglers.

Teeter made her way over to Spencer and Rip, watching Sawyer tap her foot as Ryan began to explain. "You weren't kidding about her."

"We don't kid about the women on this ranch," Rip laughed at Teeter's remark. He nestled closer to Spencer's ear, whispering lightly to her with Teeter's attention back on Sawyer and Ryan. "Think it's time we Irish goodbye this hot mess?"

His words brought a million and one different ideas to the forefront of Spencer's mind, each one more scandalous than the previous. "You're not even Irish!"

"I'll be whatever you want me to be Spencer."

She felt her cheeks warm at Rip's words, dumbly letting him pull her away from the crowd watching the action. Her afternoon schedule suddenly became very booked.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Spencer's time in bed was- begrudgingly- cut short by her phone blaring loudly with a call from Beth.

"Are you kidding me Beth-"

"Meet me in town, at Chauncey's, now."

"The shitty wine bar they put in?"

"That's the place, I'll be heading there in fifteen minutes. Don't be late."

She didn't give Spencer a chance to retort, hanging up immediately. Spencer scoffed, flipping her hair out of her face as she bitched in a low voice about Beth.

"You're seriously going?" Rip asked as he watched her pull her jeans back on.

Spencer paused, unsure of what to say. "I know Honey, but she's been acting weird for weeks. I have no idea what's going on with her anymore."

"What happened to not putting out other people's fires?"

Spencer scoffed. "That woman is a fucking wildfire, there's no putting her out. I love youuuu."
"I love you too," Rip chuckled as Spencer bounded down the stairs and out the door.

The sound of her truck turning on stirred the rest of the ranch, sending Sawyer over her way.

"Please tell me we're getting drinks, the boys are being obnoxious."

Spencer shrugged, waving Sawyer in and tearing down the driveway. She waved as Thomas and Mo drove up in their SUV, but didn't think much of it as Sawyer turned down the music.

"How was your tour?"

Sawyer groaned. "Honestly, I'm so glad to be home. The stage manager was even worse than Dustin and I didn't think that was possible. And the girl they replaced you with was..."

"Horrible?" Spencer filled in, laughing as Sawyer's head bobbed violently up and down in agreement.

"I can't believe she thinks she can sing! At least we didn't do any of our songs, I'd have to burn the sheet music if we had."