She refused to meet his eyes. "I-it doesn't mean anything."

"It doesn't mean anything?" He sighed like a disappointed parent. "You kissed me back earlier."

"No, I didn't!" She burst out, pushing him off of her with a sudden ferocity. "You imagined that! I did not kiss you back! You're delusional! Stop lying!"

Jungkook let out a frustrated breath, "Stop with your games, Ran. You're doing the exact same thing you did back in high school!"

Heiran didn't back down, determined to gaslight him into submission. "What thing?"

"Remember that time you slammed me against the wall and almost tried to kiss me before we were dating?" He questioned, right to the point that she momentarily froze in shock.

"I-I did not kiss you!" She almost screamed.

"You didn't but you almost did! And you said the exact same thing when I asked you about it. You're trying to manipulate me and keep your record clean. So let me tell you this. It is not going to work on me anymore." Jungkook informed her, relishing in the way horror dawned on her face.

"I did not try to kiss you!" Heiran was practically fuming, her cheeks flushed, and her eyes two menacing balls of fire.

"You were staring right at my lips!"

"Wha— Th-that was—" She swept her fingers through her hair, angered at being quashed. "Haha! So that's how you wanna play? Fine." She clenched her fists, shaking the hair out of her face. "Remember that day, on my birthday, when you licked the frosting from my lips! That was so creepy! We weren't dating back then!"

"Wha—" Jungkook was taken aback by the accusation and the vulgar way she had chosen to phrase it. "I— I didn't do that directly. I got the frosting on my thumb before I... You're being too much!"

"Whatever! It was so creepy!" Heiran dismissed, waving her fists around for great emphasis. Jungkook laughed in disbelief. "Is that so? Fine, then. Remember the baseball game when you were staring at my face the entire time. That was creepy!"

"Hah! I wasn't staring at your face."

"Yes, you were!"

"I wasn't! I was staring at Taehyung to make sure that he didn't run off with our bet money!" She countered cleverly.

"Oh, yeah? You were staring at Taehyung, right through my face? What, you got some superpower to see through people? Are you some Marvel movie character?" He mocked, his patience stretched too thin. In his frustration, he walked up to her to stare her down. Heiran stood her place, glaring back up with equal viciousness.

"Yes, I am! Yes, I do have superpowers! So what? So what?!"

Jungkook rolled his eyes at her nonsensical comeback. He leaned down to her face, "Admit it, Ahn Heiran. You like me. You still like me and you've always liked me! It wasn't my secret admirer alter-ego that you liked. It's me! So admit it."

Heiran's eyes went wide in alarm. She was backed into a corner that was hard to escape, but it was clear that refused to accept defeat even still. "Hah! That's wrong! I never really liked you! The only reason I ever dated you back then was because I pitied you!"

Jungkook was stunned into silence, too shocked to say anything at her atrocious statement.

Pity me?

That felt like a punch to his gut. He stared back at her, open-mouthed, unable to comprehend her audaciousness to say such a thing. She reveled in her victory for a glorious five seconds before she noticed his facial expression and paused. Something akin to a little guilt flashed through her eyes. She scrunched her nose and pursed her lips as she awkwardly posed.