Evacuate

For the third time, the unwavering spirit circled the air in search of his family. Smoke and blaze and battle cries reached high over the plagued city where he flew, but for all the Na'vi's success, he had none in locating Neytiri. Every few seconds, he attempted contact, but his mate's voice did not return. He needed a clue, something, anything to point the way. As he cursed his uselessness, an infamous shriek stole his attention. He peered down and witnessed a span of orange soaring below. The incredible wings rose, climbing closer to Toruk Makto till his feet practically brushed the leathery hide. Jake bunched his lips in relief, then whispered, "Thank you, Tsu'tey," before unlinking from his ikran and stepping onto the flying platform. The predator pealed in approval, but as soon as Jake reached for the antenna, the approval ended by way of a neck thrust that nearly knocked off the passenger.

"Whoa! Jeez! Okay, okay. I guess Toruk Makto is just a one-time thing, eh?" Jake looked back at his abandoned ikran growing smaller by the minute. "Hey, how am I going to get back? You want me to just trust you?" A roar vibrated his body, and the predator banked away from the thick of battle towards the cape. The flight felt long, and soon, the gargantuan border wall was coming into view. Jake was beginning to fear he was being led out of the city when the toruk opted to glide over a calm, blue-lit beach. "What the hell you bringing me here for?" He slapped the neck, trying to get the beast's attention, but over his shouts came a succession of sharp whistles—The father stopped protesting. As soon as the toruk landed, Jake jumped off and sped frantically over the sand, for there, standing in the water, was his daughter, Kiri.

The overjoyed and completely drenched girl was lifted into the air for a twirl. She was back in the water again when her father dropped to his knees, clutching her like the world was about to end. Gasping his sobs, Jake cradled his Kiwi, there, on that white shore.

"How? How?"

Kiri could barely sign the words, for she was trembling with such happiness.

He stroked her face, wanting to memorize her every feature while he still had the chance. He had so much he wanted to say to her, but there was no time—His mate was in trouble, and before he could offer aid, he had to see to his parental duty to the very end.

Jake took his daughter by the arm and ran for the lingering toruk. Without warning, he plucked her up and set her on the swarthy beast. "Kiri," he spoke with every ounce of breath. "Listen to me very carefully. You're good with animals—I need you to fly as far away from here as possible, okay?" She was bewildered and signed for him to climb aloft, but he shook his head. "They're after you, Kiri. You have to get out—don't look back." She would not stop shaking her head, so her father took her face in his hands and spoke firmly. "I can't go with you. I have to go help your mother, okay? You don't need me anymore, Baby. You have what it takes. You can do this." He backed away, proud to have brought her this far and, with a push of his arms, authorized the toruk to fly.

Kiri reached down, begging through distorted cries to not send her off like this, but her father would not take her hand; instead, he stepped back and let the distance between them widen. As her sight remained fixated on his shrinking image, she witnessed him open his palms, cross thumb over thumb and push a "V" formation heavenward.

Jake held up his sentiment down to the last precious second he had his daughter in view. Tears moved down his face, for he knew, in his heart, this was a final goodbye, a weight balanced by the blessing of having been the one lucky enough to see her off. Eventually, all he could make out was the fading toruk; and, from the churning water, a mighty sea creature breached triumphantly. When it fell back into the dark swells, the Last Shadow was gone.

"I love you."

Bringing a hand up to his throat that detoured briefly to wipe off a salt flow, Jake pressed his throat mic. |"Neteyam, do you copy?"|