22. Closer

Isabella's POV

"I can't believe that I got another chance to prove myself. The review they assigned me in a month could greatly affect my future."

As I packed my suitcase for the weekend, Chiara excitedly recounted the details of her invitation.

"C, you need to believe in yourself a little more. You are beautiful and capable and there will be more and more calls like this. I am very proud of you." I said and laughed.

"I really love you Bells. Without you, I wouldn't have had the confidence to make it this far." She said and meant it sincerely.

Chiara and I really have a sincere friendship, you can say that we are like the sisters we never had.

Such friendships are worth the most in the world.

"Me too, C. But, which swimsuit should I take?" I asked her and held up two pairs of bikinis. One red with stripes on the panties and one dark green with tiny christals.

"Red! You know how many times I've told you that you look like a goddess in it."

"Sometimes I worry about your sexuality C." I teased her and she bumped my shoulder.

"We both know that I have a crush on men. Tall, muscular." She began to describe.

"And their name is Henry?" I asked teasingly. She rolled her eyes.

"I knew you would tease me for him if I told you we text, but it's really nothing serious. If he wants something, you know I can't... at least not right away." She said quietly.

Chiara's life was not a fairytale. Her father had his aggressive side. The side that brought her numerous traumas, because of which she could rarely relax around men.

"I know, C. I just want you to know that I'll be happy if you are too."

She nodded her head and gave me a gentle smile.

"But, speaking of muscular men. What about the mysterious bodyguard?" She asked me with a mischievous smile.

Act natural Isabella.

"Nothing, what would it be?" I asked, pretending that the mention of his name didn't trigger an avalanche of emotions in me.

"Isabella, you'ur sight might be in trouble. That man doesn't take his eyes off you. I know it's his job, but I can read the look of desire when I see it."

She said and I got cold. As much as I'm used to there being no secrets between us, I had to keep this one to myself.

"I doubt. But if it is so, one can only hope. Instant dismissal and court are not worth for me." I said somewhat honestly.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that a man like Hunter actually noticed me.

"Ah, the lady can hope. That romance would be really juicy." Chiara sighed and I laughed. If anyone lived for a good love story, it was her.

It's just that mine and Hunter's story is far from a love story.

The word "love" carries a lot of weight and as nice as it would be for our relationship to reach that level, I doubt that his feelings, if they are that strong, will ever reach that level.

I sighed and closed the suitcase full of clothes and lay down next to my best friend.

"You've been thinking a lot lately, Bells. Is everything okay?" She asked me with a questioning look.

I remembered something that has been bothering me for days. The mail I found was addressed to my mother. I still couldn't shake the feeling that something was happening. Something dangerous and wrong. And that it all has to do with a woman whom I was beginning to fear that I didn't know at all.