Chapter Fifty Seven - Alvaryn

Start from the beginning

Demwyn shifts beside me, jaw tensing as he stands with his arms at his back, he didn't even bother changing, still wearing his fighting leathers.

I look back down at Dae, her small frame seems even smaller surrounded by so many staring at her, I can hear her name being whispered around the room. I wished I could take her from here, just hide her away until it was all over.

Once again father raises his arms to quiet the audience.

"It is clear after this attack that war is unavoidable. All those that are enlisted will be called into service and should be ready and prepared. Our army is strong, our people are strong and our Kingdom is strong. If Nievenyth believes they can attack us without consequence they are mistaken. We will not stand by and wait for another attack to happen, we will show Nievenyth how strong we are, and how foolish they were to attack our Kingdom." Applause breaks out but it is not a resounding one, many whisper and murmur amongst each other and I watch as it spreads like wild fire through the audience.

"Because of this, I have made the decision to postpone the selection. Our first and foremost thoughts should be protecting this kingdom and fighting for our people. Chosen, you are most important to us and our people. You will continue to remain in the palace as our honoured guests until this has been dealt with. I thank you for your patience and understanding." He looks down at the women who stand wide eyed and unsure. They all curtsy in return and I see Dae stare at the ground, mouth parted, hands gripping each other. She looks up catching my eye before turning to Aeris.

"I thank you each for your time here today and will make sure you are all kept up to date with any decisions made." Father finishes before turning and leaving the dais.

I want to go down and reassure Dae but she follows the other chosen from the hall and I in turn follow Demwyn off the dais.

"We need to speak to father." Aeris says once we are alone grabbing my elbow to slow me down. "If the selection is postponed then we won't be promised to Daella, we need to make sure she is safe before anything happens."

I nod. "He needs to know sooner or later." I agree.

We find him in his rooms, he looks exhausted as he lowers himself into one of his chairs and sighs heavily.

"Boys, to what do I owe this visit?" He asks, easing back into his chair.

"You have decided to postpone the selection," Aeris begins and father nods.

"It's the best decision until we have all of this dealt with." Father replies.

"Of course, but I, that is we," He says looking back at me. "We already know who we are going to choose. We don't want to wait, if we are going to go off to war then we want to be promised to our intended before we leave and ensure she is there when we return."

"Of course she will be here, all of them will be here, and their safety will be of utmost importance!" Father snaps like he is insulted by the thought he wouldn't keep the chosen safe. "But what is this all about, I didn't think either of you were even close to choosing someone, and now you don't want to wait?"

"As difficult as it may be to believe, we are both ready to choose our future wife. We know we will be risking our lives when we go off to fight, and we are willing to do so and protect our Kingdom and our people, but much can happen, we want to know that our chosen will be safe and that we are betrothed when we leave." I answer, half holding my breath.

Father shakes his head, half smiling up at us. "Is it love then? Have my sons both fallen in love?"

Aeris looks at me and then back at father and nods.