Chapter Thirty One - Alvaryn

I remove the flower crown from Dae's head and set it on the bedside table. She had been insistent that she wasn't ready for bed when I mentioned it, but by the time we managed to get to her room and I convinced her to at least sit down her body had finally relented, giving into her exhaustion.

I pull the blanket over her.

I wonder whose idea it was to have wine out for the chosen to drink freely. I can't imagine how the other girls would feel when they woke up.

I know Dae is going to have some questions when she wakes up as well. I look around the room finding a desk with paper and pen and decide to leave her a note.

Dear Dae,

Don't worry if you can't remember much from last night, you had some wine and enjoyed it immensely. Some of the memories might come back during the day, but for the most part you danced and had fun with the other chosen.

If you are feeling up to it, come meet me under the tree after lunch.

Yours, Alvaryn

I leave the note under her flower crown before leaving her rooms.

Making my way back to the solstice, most of the guests have left, some are still lingering, watching the rising sun.

I find Aeris watching the bonfires as they burn down to coal and ash.

"Where's Daella?" Are the first words that come out of his mouth as he sees me approach.

"I just left her in her rooms asleep." I answer, standing at his side, hands in my pockets.

We stare at the dying embers. I feel like I am standing in an unfamiliar position, like I am out of my depth.

"We need to do something." Aeris says quietly arms folded over his chest, eyes reflecting the quiet flames that I know are no doubt still burning inside him.

"I know." I agree. "But this isn't just about you and I, Dae is at risk, anything we do can affect her, or put her in harm's way."

I had been thinking of all the implications over and over, how to react, how to confront Varis, all of my ideas kept coming back to Dae, how any of it would affect her.

"I don't think we can tell Demwyn."

I nod slowly. "What if we can't tell anyone?" I think out loud and feel his gaze turn to me. I look back at him. "Think about it, Demwyn wants Dae out of the picture, Father already thinks we are both just wasting time with her."

"Well then we go to Varis."

"We can't go to Varis, he could make it so much worse for Dae if he found out we know. Or he could really just make her disappear, I don't want to think about it, but I know he has that power, I know he could do it and there would be questions raised but he would have answers to all of them. She could be gone before we even hear about it." The words rush out in a bitter stream, all the thoughts that have been near strangling me since Dae had told me the truth.

"We can't just do nothing! He threatened her life!" He nearly shouts before taking a deep breath and turning back to the embers.

"I know, I know we need to do something, but our focus should be Dae, making sure she is safe, not fearing for her life every single day."

He runs his hands over his face letting out an angry sigh.

"I can't just ignore the threat to her Alvaryn, Varis has his fingers in every inch of this kingdom and this fucking palace. How can we make sure she is safe if he is still here, having his spies watching her every move?" He asks, dropping his arms to his side.